You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AAAAGGGHHHHH, I hate it! It's so unintuitive!!!!!!! This should be easy.

22 hours ago, 3d illusions said:

How do I convert a mask to pixels?

Make a pixel layer from a mask:

1. cmd-click on the mask (= selection) 
2. add Pixel layer 
3. fill with black (F5)

- or - 

1. cmd-click on the mask (= selection)
2. add Fill-Layer with black (I use ⇧F for that)
3. right-click and "Rasterize"

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 1:00 PM, fde101 said:

When you paste copied data into Photo it becomes a new layer, it doesn't paste into an existing layer, so that one piece of this at least is consistent and intuitive.

However, it seems to be just about impossible to merge two mask layers.  That should definitely be addressed.

It is also a pain to convert a mask layer to a pixel layer to make it easier to manipulate.  So far the only way I see to do that is to fill a new pixel layer with white, move the mask to be a mask of that layer, and rasterize the layer to apply the mask to it.  Once the mask becomes a pixel layer it can be merged with other layers and used as a mask directly (without needing to convert it back to a mask layer).

This is one of the reasons I generally don't use mask layers.  A pixel layer is much easier to work with and can do the same job without the hassle.

I was so happy to read your work around! I have had the same problem, not able to merge mask layers... so having to make many of the same adjustments for multiple layers.

I tried the white pixel layer mask (Which takes some getting used to), but I found that left a kind of halo around the image. Copying the same white pixel layer and using it as a double mask, reduced that halo a bit, but not quite. Did you notice the same? I desperately hope you found a solution for it or know what I am doing wrong ^^

Best!

On 10/28/2021 at 2:46 PM, user_0815 said:

1. cmd-click on the parent layer (=make selection)
2. click on "new mask"

Good day! This is awesome! thank you so much! I have a question, maybe you know this as well... In my example the white slightly overlaps. When I do what you suggest here... I get a merged mask with only the area where both white figures overlapped... but I would like the white of both layers to be added to one and other. Is that possible, or am I doing something wrong? Hope you can help :) Best!

@Frederiek, you might want to review this thread:

Depending on the exact nature of the halo, you might also try blurring the pixel layer being used as a mask (select it in the Layers panel, click the "fx" button along the bottom, select Gaussian Blur and make sure it is checked, make sure "Preserve Alpha" is turned OFF, adjust the Radius).

Another thing to try in some cases might be applying a light wrap (https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/02/11/create-natural-looking-composite-images-using-light-wrapping-technique).