You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transfer my Designer iPad license from my current Apple ID to my new Apple ID?

Is it possible to transfer my AD ipad license to a new Apple ID without re-purchasing it on the new Apple ID? It’s random request I know….but I think it’s the only option I have left. Ever since I updated AD to 1.10 on my iPad earlier this year the file thumbnail previews changed from the file contents to the default Affinity Designer logo. I posted some questions on the forum here and people stated that it’s probably an iOS issue. So I did some tests to see if anything will help remedy the issue but none of them worked, which leads me to believe that the last option for me to “fix” the issue is to create a entirely new Apple ID. I conducted the following tests:

- Signed out of iCloud and Signed in 

- Delete Files app and re-install it

- Delete Affinity Designer from iPad and re-install it

- Factory Reset iPad

- Bought a New iPad

One test I haven’t conducted locally is send some of my AD project files to another person who has AD installed on their iPad. I have been trying to work with it but my workflow definitely has been altered. I still want to use AD daily this “bug” is making it difficult, I don’t want to abandon Designer totally but there has got to be a fix for this. Clicking the “cloud” icon to download the file doesn’t do anything either 

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 4.26.45 PM.png

@Ision Industries

Since Serif/Affinity and Apple share no user data at all and given that your "request" is unusual, to say the least, I think the only method by which you might achieve what you want to do is to ask Apple Support for their help in this.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

I think the straightforward way is to enable family sharing on the purchase account. Add the new account to your "family" and the application can be downloaded for the new account.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@emmrecs01 my request is “unusual” because it’s the last option I have at this point. This “bug” that causes this is rather “unusual” and I am surprised that there isn’t a fix to this yet. But what would Apple Support do to help me in this case? I already bought another iPad and that didn’t fix the issue. 

@Patrick Connor never thought about that, thank you for your input I really appreciate everyone’s help. I really hope this works, otherwise I might just change to a different app for my iPad. It’s unfortunate because I really love use AD, I have created so many projects within the year I have been using it. This “bug” isn’t a huge issue really but for me it has definitely impacted my workflow, since I create such a high volume of new projects I rely heavily on the preview image of the file to help me organize and identify projects. I have been trying to work with this “change” but I noticed I haven’t been wanting to work on projects as much, it takes so much time just trying to find the correct project to open. 

4 minutes ago, Ision Industries said:

But what would Apple Support do to help me in this case?

Apple Support is the only one who knows anything about your license for the iPad Affinity program you purchased from their Store, and if the license is transferrable to a different Apple account they are the only ones who can do it.

But Patrick's approach sounds like a reasonable first step.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Family sharing is easiest and will achieve what the op requires, access to his/her app without having to repurchase. There is a limit of six shared users.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

@Leigh

Does tech support have any advice or links how to do this with our application? I remember being told we supported it, but haven't tried myself

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 10/23/2021 at 2:28 AM, Ision Industries said:

Is it possible to transfer my AD ipad license to a new Apple ID without re-purchasing it on the new Apple ID? It’s random request I know….but I think it’s the only option I have left. Ever since I updated AD to 1.10 on my iPad earlier this year the file thumbnail previews changed from the file contents to the default Affinity Designer logo. I posted some questions on the forum here and people stated that it’s probably an iOS issue. So I did some tests to see if anything will help remedy the issue but none of them worked, which leads me to believe that the last option for me to “fix” the issue is to create a entirely new Apple ID. I conducted the following tests:

- Signed out of iCloud and Signed in 

- Delete Files app and re-install it

- Delete Affinity Designer from iPad and re-install it

- Factory Reset iPad

- Bought a New iPad

One test I haven’t conducted locally is send some of my AD project files to another person who has AD installed on their iPad. I have been trying to work with it but my workflow definitely has been altered. I still want to use AD daily this “bug” is making it difficult, I don’t want to abandon Designer totally but there has got to be a fix for this. Clicking the “cloud” icon to download the file doesn’t do anything either 

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 4.26.45 PM.png

Sorry to return to your original problem but did you try pressing and holding the cloud symbol and then selecting the ‘download’ from the pop up menu, when I do that the thumbnail is recreated.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff
10 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Leigh

Does tech support have any advice or links how to do this with our application? I remember being told we supported it, but haven't tried myself

I've had the same error before with other apps when using Family Sharing and this fixed it for me: https://osxdaily.com/2020/05/24/fix-app-no-longer-shared-with-you-error-iphone-ipad/ - If that fails you may need to remove and reinstall the app again. Unfortunately, this is an Apple issue :/

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to purchase a new license for AD using my new Apple ID so I can test the project files in the files app with a new Apple ID. The issue still persists even with a brand new apple ID. Im wondering if this intended behavior with the 1.9 update from earlier this year. Does this happen to anyone else? Are you able to see your file previews from AD project files in the files app on your iPad? 

2 hours ago, Ision Industries said:

Im wondering if this intended behavior with the 1.9 update from earlier this year

No, I don’t believe this is intended.

Does this happen to anyone else?

I think I have seen similar reports some time ago.

Are you able to see your file previews from AD project files in the files app on your iPad?

Yes, I can see previews in Files app for both locally stored affinity files and cloud stored. Long press on icon shows previews of recent files too.

Does this effect other files or just Affinity files? 
Have you opened and re-saved a copy of the file (Doc menu/Save a Copy) to see if that works?

If you attach an afdesign sample here I will check and see if I get the preview.

A1A8C184-65FF-4A2C-BE2E-F830E300E77D.jpeg

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Hi @DM1 What app is that “recents” widget for? It looks super clean compared to the files app widget. Unfortunately this issue is only affecting “afdesign” files. When I first installed AD in July of 2020 I was able to see the file preview thumbnail for files saved with the .afdesign extension, after I updated the app to version 1.9 (I think) back in February or March of this year is what changed my file previews for the .afdesign files. I have tried that save a copy option as well. The only thing that seems to bring my file previews for afdesign files back on my iPad is if I open the project files on desktop and re-save it that way. Here is an attached project file. 

The project file I attached is a re-saved file (on iPad) from a project I originally worked on back in October of 2020. I just noticed the file size difference is quite large, though kbs are rather small a jump from 600 to 32 a big difference. 

729F75FB-5031-42AD-851C-A04CB04A6D75.jpeg

Rounded Rectangle Chat Icons [Re-Saved].afdesign

1 hour ago, Ision Industries said:

What app is that “recents” widget for? It looks super clean compared to the files app widget.

It is the Documents widget (Readdle). 

1 hour ago, Ision Industries said:

The only thing that seems to bring my file previews for afdesign files back on my iPad is if I open the project files on desktop and re-save it that way.

That’s very odd. Do you have any Adobe apps installed? They are known to effect affinity files.
When you highlight the file in Files app, and check the info panel, is the file still associated with Affinity Designer?

E25BBAD7-7799-44F0-B646-158A8CABE104.jpeg

Thanks for testing my file @DM1 I did have two adobe apps installed but I now deleted them. I rebooted my iPad but nothing happened. Should I reinstall AD on my iPad again now that the Adobe apps are deleted? Is it the Adobe app specific or should I delete all Adobe associated files in my iCloud too? Here is a screenshot the file association in the info panel. Thanks again for your help. How do you like using the Documents app instead of the native Files app? 

Open folder Screenshots for Affinity forum.png

3 hours ago, Ision Industries said:

I rebooted my iPad but nothing happened.

Did you perform a hard reset? https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-restart-ipad-1999820

3 hours ago, Ision Industries said:

Should I reinstall AD on my iPad again now that the Adobe apps are deleted?

It may be worth trying again if the hard reset doesn’t help. Maybe move your files out of the default save folder on iCloud and delete the folder so that Affinity creates a new one.

5 hours ago, Ision Industries said:

Is it the Adobe app specific

Yes. Adobe Fresco in particular.