You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Restore faded handwriting

I'm very impressed by the capabilities offered in Affinity Photo, but it's overwhelming when attempting a first piece of work and the excellent video tutorials don't seem to help in this case.

I have a 600dpi jpg scan of an old certificate with a badly faded ink signature. The objective is to put the original certificate in storage and display a new printed copy. Can anybody give me a few hints on how to enhance the signature which has faded from the original black to a very pale sepia?

Attached is a low quality copy of the signature section.

Many thanks,

John

Hi VIPStephan and MBd, thanks for your suggestions.

I've now got text that is plainly visible, but looks very artificial.

I'm still struggling to:

a. Make the handwritten text look natural, and

b. Extract just the handwritten segments to overlay on the original backdrop layer.

Still stumbling around...

I'm very impressed by the capabilities offered in Affinity Photo, but it's overwhelming when attempting a first piece of work and the excellent video tutorials don't seem to help in this case.

I have a 600dpi jpg scan of an old certificate with a badly faded ink signature. The objective is to put the original certificate in storage and display a new printed copy. Can anybody give me a few hints on how to enhance the signature which has faded from the original black to a very pale sepia?

Attached is a low quality copy of the signature section.

Many thanks,

John

Did you forget the attachment?

Hi, I had a try.

I used a highpass filter. Radius 36. Blendmode colour burn

Then I used a black and white adjustment filter. Used the red and yellow slider all the way to the left; -200.

I suggest you make a white layer underneath and use the eraser to tidy up (more than I did).

EDIT: The white layer needs to be the same colour as the background of the document. Use the eydropper tool.
OR/AND experiment with a blendmode.

post-14034-0-53003100-1448270755_thumb.jpg

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi Madame,

I've only been able to spend half an hour on the problem this evening, but already have a pretty good result, close to your example.  Intend to start on a fresh copy tomorrow working even more carefully. Thanks again, ready to go solo on this now.