You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I have a small issue since the update for AD. Now, when I start up, instead of loading the assets panel I work with, the panel is blank. I then end up having to open up the Assets tab and scroll to find the assets I usually work with, why is that and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

G

01.JPG

37 minutes ago, Gort said:

why is that and how can I fix it?

I'm not sure why that blank assets panel appears but I just deleted it and everything was back to normal

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

No, just that category shown in your screenshot

Click on the hamburger menu in your screenshot and select delete category

Please ensure you have your assets backed up, just in case something goes wrong  

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I may have completely the wrong idea of your problem, but do you mean that the tab which opens by default is just called "Assets" and is blank, and that you then have to scroll down to select another tab (which used to be the default), instead of the one called "Assets"?

If so the problem may be that the Assets are now being sorted (since an update a while back) alphabetically, instead of the order they were installed. This can be changed by clicking on the "hamburger" button to the right of the Assets Tab.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 10/22/2021 at 4:13 PM, PaulEC said:

I may have completely the wrong idea of your problem, but do you mean that the tab which opens by default is just called "Assets" and is blank, and that you then have to scroll down to select another tab (which used to be the default), instead of the one called "Assets"?

If so the problem may be that the Assets are now being sorted (since an update a while back) alphabetically, instead of the order they were installed. This can be changed by clicking on the "hamburger" button to the right of the Assets Tab.

It's a custom category that I created when I first got AD, and over time I created quite a few sub categories within it. This would load whenever I started AD and I can just get on with what I want to do. Since the update, the category I use doesn't load anymore but this blank assets category has appeared.

I have looked at the sort from the menu, but that only gives me two options - By Name & Date Added, neither one suits. I have also looked at deleting the blank category, but that would only result in the next category alphabetically being loaded up, which is not what I want either.

What I'd like to know is if I can make my custom category the default one and have it load up whenever the application starts.

10 minutes ago, Gort said:

What I'd like to know is if I can make my custom category the default one and have it load up whenever the application starts.

For me, there is no default as such but whatever the last category I set the panel to remains the one I see each time I start the app.

I am on a Mac, if that matters.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I was just about to say the exact same thing as R C-R!

Which OS are you on Gort?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

For me, there is no default as such but whatever the last category I set the panel to remains the one I see each time I start the app.

I am on a Mac, if that matters.

Yep, that's what usually happens until the update, as I said.

I don’t think anything has been changed generally from an Assets operational point of view in the Affinity apps.
So the behaviour that you are seeing could unfortunately be just confined to your system for some reason? Nobody else seems to be reporting it.
What happens after deleting that unwanted empty Assets category and restarting?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

11 hours ago, Gort said:

What I did in a similar situation was to rename "Basic" as "_Basic", the underscore at the start will make it the first item alphabetically. (When sorted "alphabetically" symbols/punctuation and numerals come before letters.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

What I did in a similar situation was to rename "Basic" as "_Basic", the underscore at the start will make it the first item alphabetically. (When sorted "alphabetically" symbols/punctuation and numerals come before letters.)

Hadn't thought of that! So I just tried renaming the category with an underscore and AD promptly crashed, but after a couple of restarts, that seems to have solved the issue. My category is back where it belongs from the start! 

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :)

4 hours ago, markw said:

I don’t think anything has been changed generally from an Assets operational point of view in the Affinity apps.
So the behaviour that you are seeing could unfortunately be just confined to your system for some reason? Nobody else seems to be reporting it.
What happens after deleting that unwanted empty Assets category and restarting?

It did what I thought it would do when I removed the empty assets category, it loaded up the next category in line alphabetically, but we have it sussed now.

Thanks for trying to help me out.