You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.10.3.1188

Click here to download the latest beta Currently there is no beta more recent than the 1.10.4 release

Purpose: Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

• Fixed Refine Selection as New Layer with Mask preventing rendering of Artboards
  • Fixed Brush Hardness changing when swapping tools
  • Fixed Live Filters with Radius or Distance spuriously changing the Azimuth anticlockwise

Previous release notes

@Mark Ingram

I understand there's no news about the many crash reports posted previously (here, here, and here), so I guess I can't expect much in that territory.

That said, if it might be of any help, I tested 1.10.3.1188, and I can confirm the same crashes once again (DMP files, and logs attached).
As usual, the beta seems to be working fine with the acceleration off, though the latest official 1.9.2.1035 works also with the acceleration on.

While it's possible to use the newest releases with the acceleration off, the difference is quite significant in terms of performance.
You have provided a great software, and I still hope there's a way for the devs to figure this out. It's difficult to go back :)

For the record, the other software I use with no issues regarding GPU acceleration are:
Cinema 4D R21 with Redshift, Blender 3D 2.93.5, and 3.0 alpha, Davinci Resolve Studio, Fusion Studio, Quixel Mixer, Quadspinner Gaea, Diffractor.

Edit: I forgot to add that the latest official Affinity Designer, and Affinity Publisher work fine with the hardware acceleration on.

As for my system specs:

Computer:      Alienware Area-51 R3
CPU:           AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (ThreadRipper, ZP-B1)
               3400 MHz (34.00x100.0) @ 4116 MHz (41.25x99.8)
Motherboard:   Alienware 0XF4NJ
BIOS:          1.2.0, 07/24/2020
Chipset:       AMD X399 (Promontory)
Memory:        32768 MBytes @ 1064 MHz, 15-15-15-36
               - 16384 MB PC21300 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
               - 16384 MB PC21300 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
Graphics:      ASUS TURBO GTX 1080 Ti
               NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 11264 MB GDDR5X SDRAM
Graphics:      DELL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
               NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 11264 MB GDDR5X SDRAM
Drive:         Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB, 1953.5 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive:         KXG50ZNV512G NVMe TOSHIBA 512GB, 500.1 GB, NVMe
Drive:         HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS40N, DVD+R DL
Sound:         NVIDIA GP102 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound:         AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
Sound:         NVIDIA GP102 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network:       Qualcomm/Atheros E2500 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Network:       Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter
Network:       Qualcomm/Atheros E2500 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
OS:            Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19043.1288 (21H1)

reports.zip attachments.zip

Piero Desopo

Direction, Design <http://phoenixart.com>

Photography <http://www.pierodesopo.com>

Two small issues:

1. The beta, at start up, does not report a new beta version is available (this also happened in previous release of the beta)

2. When having an image in portrait orientation (proportions), and using the crop tools presets (like 5:4), it will always default to landscape orientation. This was different in older releases where the proportions would adjust to the current orientation. (ie. 4:5 for portrait).

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

• Staff
3 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

2. When having an image in portrait orientation (proportions), and using the crop tools presets (like 5:4), it will always default to landscape orientation. This was different in older releases where the proportions would adjust to the current orientation. (ie. 4:5 for portrait).

This was a deliberate change - it's perfectly reasonable to want to crop a portrait image to a landscape image... You should be able to create your own preset and you can add it to the top of the preset list.

AFAIK, before the change, you could not have a 4 : 5 preset and a 5 : 4 preset as the app thought they were the same. The first field is Width and the second field is Height so 5 : 4 is technically landscape, making the preset correct.

tested on the leatest win11 beta update today and found sofar no problems. But every system can have their own live ;)

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

20 hours ago, Chris B said:

This was a deliberate change - it's perfectly reasonable to want to crop a portrait image to a landscape image... You should be able to create your own preset and you can add it to the top of the preset list.

AFAIK, before the change, you could not have a 4 : 5 preset and a 5 : 4 preset as the app thought they were the same. The first field is Width and the second field is Height so 5 : 4 is technically landscape, making the preset correct.

From my perspective, it's a bad change (thou I can understand for some it's for better). Can you make some "auto rotate" option or something?

From my perspective, keeping two presets and thinking about which one to use is a waste of time and space. If it's so, why not have presets for both types already pre-installed in the first place? 

Also, help for this need to be updated "saying allows you to access preset manager" says nothing about "how to access it".

20 hours ago, Chris B said:

Side note, things like this should be mentioned in the change log.

Would it be possible to get this crash report I made over a year ago that happens when using a keyboard shortcut for Select Sampled Colour fixed in the near future? Would be nice being able to use this useful feature in a more practical manner. ^^

Also, I have another crash report involving two large work files that happens when zooming in and out a lot (I think it has something to do with the amount of image textures used in these projects). This has happened since I began working on them in 1.9. I waited with these reports however because I was planning on upgrading my PC, but now when I have all of that fixed I am still experiencing the exact same crashes on an AMD Ryzen 9 5950x processor.

I can send the files over for you devs to test. I just need a link to send them over with. :)

before this update, my drawing tablet was working.  i was able to paint using the all of the selections including watercolor brushes.  now,  the only thing that works using my tablet are the basic selection of brushes.  my mouse works for all the choices no matter which category.  That is the same problem in affinity designer when i am in pixel persona.  is there a way for me to go back to the previous version of the beta?  

Edited by cabinfeverclay
other brushes do not work

3 hours ago, cabinfeverclay said:

is there a way for me to go back to the previous version of the beta? 

Sure. Just uninstall this one, then run the installer for the previous one.

But it would be better to figure out what's wrong, as you won't want to stay on that beta version forever. However, rather than doing that in this announcement topic, I would suggest you post a new topic here in the Photo Beta on Windows forum, and describe your setup (kind of tablet, Windows release, tablet settings that you're using in the Photo Preferences, etc.) to aid in diagnosing the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
On 10/23/2021 at 8:14 AM, TEcHNOpls said:

Side note, things like this should be mentioned in the change log.

It was:
Changes Since 1.9.3 (source)

- Fixed crop tool issue where all presets were landscape.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:13 AM, TEcHNOpls said:

Can you make some "auto rotate" option or something?

What's wrong with the Rotate button? I'm not sure how the app can anticipate whether you want to do a landscape or portrait crop. 

On 10/23/2021 at 8:13 AM, TEcHNOpls said:

why not have presets for both types already pre-installed in the first place? 

I don't think it's realistic to have a landscape and portrait preset for each of the ratios. The list is already long enough. This is why there's a Rotate button on the context toolbar.

Either add your own preset, manage it and move it to the top of the list if it's one you use regularly or use the Rotate button.

I have several questions and wishes.

1. I would like to be able to delete unnecessary cropping presets (which are set by default). Also be able to restore them.

2. Is this a mistake or so by design? I collapse groups of presets, for my convenience, so as not to scroll every time. But the next time you open the list of presets, they are all expanded again. The feeling that the program behaves like a mother who knows how her child will be better, and does not allow him to live the way he wants.

3. Is it possible that when cropping there was a snap to the borders of the image (object) and not just to the key points?

4. I would like, when rectifying, that re-framing would be automatically performed (optionally enabled).

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

It was:
Changes Since 1.9.3 (source)

- Fixed crop tool issue where all presets were landscape.

1. I can't find these in any windows related notes.

2. This says something completely opposite of what was happening before. I have portrait images, and when I selected 5:4 it automatically switched to 4:5 mode. And when I selected 5:4 in landscape, it was in 5:4. Now it defaults to landscape for portrait 'sized' photos.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

What's wrong with the Rotate button? I'm not sure how the app can anticipate whether you want to do a landscape or portrait crop. 

It adds addition steps when it's not needed. By default, at least with such a button/option, it would change 5:4 to 4:5 for portrait 'sized' work.

1 hour ago, Max N said:

Is it possible that when cropping there was a snap to the borders of the image (object) and not just to the key points?

The Crop Tool already snaps to the border of the image (document), with snapping enabled. I don't think it snaps to objects at all.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
5 minutes ago, henryg said:

Totally unstable, crashing nearly every picture edit ☹️

Please use the 1.10.4 release and not this 1.10.3 beta which has been superceded

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
9 minutes ago, henryg said:

I can only see 10.10.3.1188 - please advise

1.10.3.1188 beta was superseded by 1.10.3.1191 official release, which was updated very soon after to 1.10.4.1198 RELEASE build. there is no 1.10.5 beta, so please use the official release , and not this beta which has stability problems.

If the problems you are seeing still happen when using Affinity Photo for Windows 1.10.4 release build, then report that into the bugs forum, not these beta forums

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

OK, latest 1.10.4 installed. I am returning to photo editing after a long time away from it.

For future releases, I suggest on opening program should tell the user if the beta program has finished and a later release version is available.

4 hours ago, henryg said:

For future releases, I suggest on opening program should tell the user if the beta program has finished and a later release version is available.

You should be running the beta version and the release version in parallel. Since the release version notifies you on opening if a later release version is available, it would be a waste of time and effort to have an ‘updated’ beta version just to tell you the same thing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I downloaded the most current beta but now it is asking for a product key.  It never did that before, it automatically recognized that i have AP installed.

I purchased the program through the microsoft store, so i don't have a product key.  Or if i do, i can't figure out where to find it. 

Please advise, thank you :)

• Staff

As explained 5 posts above this, there is no Affinity Photo Windows beta at the moment, please use the release version.

As to why this beta is prompting for a key is unclear, as it should recognise that you have the Windows Store version installed, but either way the Affinity Photo version 1.10.4 is the right version to be using, not this beta.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd