You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Consistent behaviour for input fields

Changing values, e.g. font size, can be done by either entering a value directly, mousewheeling while hovering over the input, or sometimes by dragging the label next to the input field.

The one method that always works is entering a new value, however having the other two everywhere would greatly speed up (my) workflow. Mousewheeling is great (when it works), but not a thing when using a Wacom tablet. Here, dragging is the best option.

So having all three options in every input field would be great.

Any thoughts?

Using the mouse wheel used to work in more places but it caused problems with the studio panels because the panels would scroll underneath the fields while trying to adjust the values, so after various ideas were batted around, it was intentionally disabled for those a few versions back.  I'm not sure about dragging on the label though - I wouldn't expect it to be a problem for that so not sure why it is not more consistently supported.

This can't be correct. The mouse wheel seems to really work on all numeric inputs, just not on things like font lists, or transfer modes – which would make sense though. I can live with that. Palettes with hidden overflow on the other hand can not be scrolled with the wheel. I can live with that, too.

Dragging the label to change the value also works on most widgets, except the one which I need most often, like font size. When looking for the optimum balance of various font settings I tend to tweak the size a lot, I really don't need the extra friction here. Especially when working with a tablet.

21 minutes ago, Rocketdrive said:

The mouse wheel seems to really work on all numeric inputs,

I haven't yet found any that don't!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

I haven't yet found any that don't!

Your comment caused me to investigate, because I was certain there are some numeric inputs in the studios that do not scroll. What I found was a little odd. Just to take one example, look at the position and transform section of the Character Studio: all seven of the numeric inputs will scroll on a real mouse, but only the four on the left will scroll with a trackpad. The three inputs on the right (namely, shear, horizontal scaling, and vertical scaling) do not respond to the scroll gesture on the trackpad.

This inconsistency seems unintentional to me, and so I would call it a bug.

Note that I am using the Apple Magic Trackpad (original version). I assume the trackpads built into the MacBooks would act similarly, but it might be good if one of you many MacBook users could confirm.

Edited by garrettm30
I fixed the reference to the wrong studio

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

Using the mouse wheel used to work in more places but it caused problems with the studio panels because the panels would scroll underneath the fields while trying to adjust the values, so after various ideas were batted around, it was intentionally disabled for those a few versions back.

I remember those issues, but I am finding inconsistencies here as well. On a physical mouse, the Character Studio will not scroll with the mouse wheel at all. My only option with a mouse is to drag the scroll bar. On the other hand, it will scroll on the trackpad.

16 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

This inconsistency seems unintentional to me, and so I would call it a bug.

Certainly sounds like it. I use a normal mouse, so I have no experience of using a trackpad with the Affinity apps.

16 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

On a physical mouse, the Character Studio will not scroll with the mouse wheel at all. My only option with a mouse is to drag the scroll bar.

I've never noticed that before. (I usually use the scroll bars.) There's definitely something buggy about these inconsistences!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad