You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash on entering page number (btm left field)

Has anyone experienced this? I usually use the forward and backward arrows for navigating to a page in my book manuscript but today I entered (or tried to enter) a number and immediately upon typing a single stroke, the program crashed. This happened 3 times in a row. Just restarted my computer, just in case.

I'm on an old Mac Pro using Sierra using APub 1.10.1. Works fine otherwise, so it's a mystery to me why this would happen. I did use number inputting at other times (previous versions?) without any crashes. No idea why this would happen now - except that I'm sending my book to the printer today. Could be a "divine intervention" thing; gotta consider all the angles. :D

UPDATE: I was checking the preflight and it was asking me to update the TOC. I checked it and found that there were duplicate entries of the TOC. Well, 14 of them exactly. Okay. Luckily I'm working with a duplicate copy of my master file cause this is getting scary. BUT...

I deleted those extra TOCs and I tried entering a page number and now it doesn't crash.

Problem solved? Or is my file dangling by a thread from a cliff with the intention to jump? Stay tuned for more after this word from our sponsor.

(Feel free to post your own random sh*t in the spirit of this uncertain moment.)

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.50.21 PM.png

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

The two issues seem to have been related: when the TOC had all these duplicates, the numbering input system did not work.

I guess the question now is "How did all these TOCs get into my document when it only has one TOC?" (being that it's a typical book, and I don't recall doing anything bizarre, like copying and pasting my TOC 13 times).

• Staff
14 hours ago, TheOtherRoland said:

The two issues seem to have been related: when the TOC had all these duplicates, the numbering input system did not work.

I guess the question now is "How did all these TOCs get into my document when it only has one TOC?" (being that it's a typical book, and I don't recall doing anything bizarre, like copying and pasting my TOC 13 times).

I'm glad to hear you were able to solve the crashing yourself. It will be hard for us to say where the extra TOCs came from without seeing your workflow or a copy of the file.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 month later...

I've also noticed that my book manuscript crashed at times which related (in my opinion) to my needing to update the index. Or it was index related. I think the markers and the whole system of organizing a document sometimes gets dizzy and just faints. And when it does — I hear a thud on my desktop and a low moan as Apub hits the ground. :)

Once revived, it remembers nothing of the event and we go on as before.