You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Text and special characters

• Staff

You are not able to turn off the special characters in Affinity Photo as this is a feature of Publisher, if you open a document created in Publisher that has the special characters enabled then when this file is opened in Photo they will be displayed.

I'm intreagued to know how those special characters appeared in the first place. Whenever I ener text in a text box in Photo, I just get the ordinary characters and the special characters are not displayed.

@foto-grafic, I presume that these special characters are not visible when printing.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

9 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

in a text box in Photo, I just get the ordinary characters

As @DWright explained, you’ll see the special characters if the feature is enabled in an APub document. That would still apply to any edits in APh, but I wouldn’t expect to see special characters in a document which has been created in APh or AD and only ever edited in one or other of those two apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@DWright

Thank you for your quick answer,

I also have Publisher, but since this morning I have been working on Photo and I created these documents in Photo, which is the reason for the strangeness, it had never happened to me.
Now in Photo I have tried to open new documents and I have the same behavior.
Is there any way to get rid of special characters?

Thanks for the support and sorry if I take your time ...

@John Rostron

This morning I turned on the PC, loaded Affinity Photo and started working, when I started writing something I immediately noticed the special characters also because up until now it had never happened and I can't remove them.
I work on pc window 7 pro ultimate, APhoto version 1.9.1 and everything goes smoothly except this one.

No, you're right they are not visible in the print or on the saved image.

this thing intrigues me but in the meantime I can continue the work.
Thanks for the time you dedicate to me.

2 hours ago, foto-grafic said:

Now in Photo I have tried to open new documents and I have the same behavior.
Is there any way to get rid of special characters?

Open an old document that doesn’t show special characters. Choosing ‘Edit > Defaults > Save’ should then mean that the document’s settings (including the one that keeps special characters hidden) are used by default for any new documents that you create in Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred

Alfred, I followed your advice, but the result was negative.

Thanks...

@GarryP
Yes Garry could be, sure it's a weird malfunction, I made a little video to show you that on a new document the text both Artistic Text and Frame Test have special characters; I just hope you see ...

Any advice is appreciated ... Thanks

I managed to break Photo too

New file in Photo
Insert text into Frame Text box
Edit with Pub and show special characters
Back to Photo
Make another text layer and the SC show
Open new file
Add art text, SC show
Restart Photo
New file, add text, SC show

Curse

Hunt for changed file in %Appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user

renamed visibility_options.dat
Restarted Photo and all good so far

visibility_options.BUSTEDdat

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

@David in Яuislip

I followed your reasoning,
and on the thread of this reasoning I did a test (since the original file visibility bore the date of when I had worked with the two programs Photo and Publisher from Publisher😞

I renamed the original file (the one that was there) visibility_options.dat to visibility-options-old.dat;
in this way if something wrong happened I would have removed the '-old' and everything would be back as before;
then, I started Photo (all normal) I opened a new document and I hardly believed it THE PROBLEM IS GONE, SOLVED.

So logically, since the program works normally, the visibility file is formed when the apps are used at the same time and in any case, even if not exactly a bug, it is certainly a malfunction.

Thank you all, you are a wonderful group of people always available ... Thank you ... Thank you ... Thank you ...

See you soon hear from us

7 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

I managed to break Photo too

New file in Photo
Insert text into Frame Text box
Edit with Pub and show special characters
Back to Photo
Make another text layer and the SC show
Open new file
Add art text, SC show
Restart Photo
New file, add text, SC show

I tried this in the Mac version of AP, with one change -- I saved & closed the first file after editing in APUb & sending it back to AP (so it was saved with the afphoto extension).

When I then opened a new file & added text to it, the special characters did not show. Same results after I reopened the first file (with the special characters still showing) & opened a new file -- it still did not show the characters.

I don't know if there would be any difference if I did not close the first file but it seems like tyhis bug doesn't happen with the Mac version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7