You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer takes up too much space and can't convert storage to iCloud

RcAbdulkh

I'm unable to save anymore updates on Affinity Designer because it's taking up too much storage space. What's more, I can't seem to uploade some of the storage to iCloud to free up space on my iPad. Why is Affinity taking up so much space? How to resolve the problem? How to upload the data to iCloud?

• Staff

Hi @RcAbdulkh,

How much space is Designer taking up?  Could you post a screenshot of the Storage section showing how much space Designer is using?  There is a bug we have logged around this and i suspect this will be what you are running in to.

Do you have a lot of thumbnails on the homescreen of Affinity, as these will all use space.  So make sure you've saved them 1st and then start closing them from the Home screen.  

The other method to free up the space would be to reinstall Designer BUT again please make sure you save everything on the homescreen of Affinity and also move any files out of the iCloud folder called Affinity Designer, as this is delete when you remove the app.  For more information on saving files out of Designer see this link

I closed some files that I didn’t need in Affinity designer, but I’m concerned about deleting the app and reinstalling it since I don’t know how to regain the files I made. The cloud doesn’t seem to register affinity designer so I’m concerned that if I delete the app, my work will be lost. 

My iPad says 511.6 of 512gigs used, so even saving photos to upload here is tricky, which is kinda crazy.

image.png

• 6 months later...

Designer on iPad Air 4 using too much storage.

I currently have the same problem:

The Settings app on my iPad Air 4 shows AF using more storage than is possible (total storage is greater than 256Gb). I am running current version of AF and iOS.

Eventually AF does consume enough storage to fill the iPad, and I’m forced to delete and reinstall it, and import my documents from the Files app. The total storage used by AF is much, much greater than the sum of the individual documents.

After reinstallation, the problem is temporarily solved. But after using AF for a while, it recurs. I have deleted and reinstalled AF to reclaim storage numerous times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a way to delete the data used up by AD? I’m working on just 1 document (file size 80gb), however, AD has taken up all my memory —- almost 2TB! IPAD

There has to be a better way than deleting and reinstalling app. This is several months of work. I’m also unable to save my work right now so I’m afraid I will lose everything. This is a HUGE issue - not sure why this app highly recommended with the issue on hand.  

If there’s something I’m missing, please share.  Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2022 at 7:30 AM, Ferrel said:

I have the same problem, and the problem has been in Designer for years. I would like to know why Serif won't do anything to this?

Same here! I am in my 4 round of saving and deleting everything to install it from scratch. It does not help that the filemanagement is so intransparent. 
no way or see if the file was saved or not. If you rename a file after saving it will get saved under the old! name, overwriting any other file that shares the original name…