You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select/recolor antialiased shape?

I'm new to Affinity, trying to unlearn 30 years of Photoshop habits, so please bear with me....

I want to recolor an antialiased icon, currently black, to some other color, color X. The icon is alone on a layer, so the surrounding pixels are transparent. The 100% opaque black pixels to be 100% opaque color X, and each of the antialiasing pixels that are n% transparent black to become n% transparent color X.

In Photoshop, I would typically make a quick selection marquee around the whole icon, and use Cmd-Up, Cmd-Dn to nudge the image and quickly "lift" the icon pixels into a selection. Then I would recolor those to the desired transparencies described above by using Cmd-Del or  Cmd-Shift-Del depending on whether I wanted to change it to the current foreground or background colors. (Operating from memory on those keystrokes; it's been a while and I don't have PS to pull them from muscle memory, but if I'm off, hopefully you know the ones I mean.)

What method would I use in Affinity Photo to accomplish the same thing? Thanks!

(BTW - I tried Fill with Primary Color, but it turned all the antialiasing, n% transparent pixels, solid. So maybe I'm just missing whatever step it takes to get the pixels "lifted" into a selection the way nudging does in Photoshop, and then Fill with Primary Color would fill appropriately?) 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

34 minutes ago, ramatsu said:

(BTW - I tried Fill with Primary Color, but it turned all the antialiasing, n% transparent pixels, solid.) 

If i understood correctly I think, before you fill with a colour, you need to lock the transparency.

Try unchecking "Editable" on the composit alpha.

editable.png.a2cd3aa8508c6b7a9a91fddf671488ca.png

After filling with the colour turn Editable back on.

@walt.farrell: Thanks for the link, Lisbon's solution below looks like the ticket but there's a bunch of stuff to be learned from the rest of that thread.

@Lisbon: Perfect, that's exactly what I needed! 

I can tell there's going to be a long learning curve here, AP seems to have some very different concepts about pixel handling from PS.