You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deleting / cutting / removing a selection with the Flood Tool

Hi all.

I’m missing the magic wand simplicity of Photoshop. I’m starting to understand how the flood tool works however removing the “background” of an image I’m either not understating or seems overly complex. I searched for how to do this and and found a few things, one of them being a video for the desktop version of Photo which said to just “hit the delete key” to remove the background once you’ve selected the part of the image you want to save with the Flood Tool. Needless to say that didn’t work on the iPad unless I’m doing something wrong.

In the attached image all I wanted to do was select the VEEPS. lettering (with the flood tool) Copy it to the clipboard (or cut it out) and paste it onto another document. 

In Photoshop I use to just select the lettering and hit Command X to cut it out. That’s not working here!

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

veeps.PNG

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @NashvilleNewman. :)

Did you open the image on its own or did you place it on a new canvas? When you use the ‘Place’ command you get an ‘Image’ layer, not a ‘Pixel’ layer, and you need to rasterize it before you can cut or copy a pixel selection.

CB6470F1-0781-4A9B-AA7C-992C6E68130A.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

And nothing happens when you make a selection and then use the ‘Cut’ command? :/

Edit: I have no problem with the file you posted. I saved it and used ‘Import from Photos’ in APh, and then selected the letters, cut them from the original pixel layer and pasted them to a new layer. I’ve attached a *.afphoto file, saved with history so that you can see my steps.

veeps.afphoto

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, NashvilleNewman said:

Seems like an extra step having to rasterize?

You shouldn’t have to do that unless you’re using the ‘Place’ command. Please see the file that I’ve attached to my previous post.

Alfred spacer.png

10 hours ago, NashvilleNewman said:

Interesting… When I import the photo using the “Import From Photos” I’m able to cut it no problem. When I open the image from “Import From iCloud” I had to go about the business with the rasterizing….

Anything imported from Photos is always going to be the original raster image, but photos from other sources may not be. (I say “original” because you’ll find that if you’ve cropped an image in Photos the uncropped version will be imported into APh. To open the image in its cropped state, copy it via the ‘Share’ button in Photos and then use the ‘New Document From Clipboard’ option in Affinity Photo.)

Alfred spacer.png