You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I recently took a photo from my camera app in portrait mode and saved as HEIF/HEIC. Crashing is a separate subject, but I finally got it into AP I saw 2 layers. One was the image and other was a Depth Map (image below). I'm not sure what to do with this Depth Map, if anything. Does anyone know anything about this?

125517220_ScreenShot2021-10-19at9_21_22AM.png.1566726b69a1b53cd21e1aab65029512.png

Looks like your depth map is corrupted or not being read/parsed properly.  Here is the what content of a HEIC portrait mode image looks like when it is opened in AP - I  moved the depth map layer to stack the two layers so they would both be visible.  When you open the HEIC, the depth map is the top layer, the image is the bottom layer.

AP v 1.10.1, Mac OSX 11.4 (Big Sur).

What platform and AP version are you using?

kirk

depth.jpg

• Staff

Hi NicholasG,

Does this only happen with one image or is it all that you try to work with? If its just one please could you provide a copy of it?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

41 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi NicholasG,

Does this only happen with one image or is it all that you try to work with? If its just one please could you provide a copy of it?

Thanks
C

Yes.This only happened with this one image (Pixie.heic). I was testing the portrait mode in ProCamera app on my iPhone. I just found another image I was testing in portrait mode on the same app (IMG_0694.heic) and this one opened OK with the proper depth map. It could be the 1st attached image was somehow corrupted.

Pixie.heic IMG_0694.heic

15 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Pixie.heic crashes instantly for me and again no problem with Gimp.

Thank you. I think you solved the problem. seems like the Pixie file was somehow corrupted. I'm not sure how that happened. Maybe it originated in the ProCamera app.

Thank you again.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:02 PM, kirkt said:

Looks like your depth map is corrupted or not being read/parsed properly.  Here is the what content of a HEIC portrait mode image looks like when it is opened in AP - I  moved the depth map layer to stack the two layers so they would both be visible.  When you open the HEIC, the depth map is the top layer, the image is the bottom layer.

AP v 1.10.1, Mac OSX 11.4 (Big Sur).

What platform and AP version are you using?

kirk

depth.jpg

The file was corrupted. It’s being invested. But as far as the depth map, how would I use it AP? I’m thinking it’s there for a reason. 
thanks. 

Affinity Photo works with Height and Width, not Depth. It is there but is rather useless.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The simplest option is to add an Gaussian blur, use the depth layer as mask (inverted), to get a realistic depth of field blur. You can retouch the masks imperfections (hair) to even get better results  vs. out of camera.

Other creative options: use edge detection on depth mask, experiment with blend modes. 

you can actually decomposition your image into a (small) set of depth layers, and treat them differently (color, brightness, masking and resizing).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I use ProCamera on my iPhone and that lets you do exactly what you’re showing. It has some things I’m not crazy about but all in all It’s a great app. That’s the app I used that had the corrupted file. I contacted them about it and they are looking into it. It doesn’t happen all the time just once in a while. But yes, after you take the depth shot you can shift the focal point in the app. That’s one of the things that attracted me to ProCamera.