You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How does one do this - is it precision cropping?

As some readers may have noticed, I sometimes make artwork for greetings cards using Affinity Designer, with a canvas (is that the right word?) in Affinity Designer that is 2171 pixels by 1571 pixels at 300 pixels per inch. This is because the Papier facility that I use to produce greetings cards from the artwork needs, for the templates I use, a jpg file at 300 pixels per inch at a size of 7 inches by 5 inches with a 3 millimetre wide bleed area on each edge.

Having a number of those .afdesign files stored, I would like to be able to produce some artwork to place upon an A4 size canvas.

So what I want to do is to be able to copy an area of the original that is 2100 pixels by 1500 pixels, with the location of the top left corner of the copied area at (35, 35) of the original canvas.

That is, getting the picture without the bleed areas that go with it in the original.

How does one do that please?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I guess the easiest way would be to export one of the images without the bleed.Tthen you can place it on your A4 where ever you want.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I guess the easiest way would be to export one of the images without the bleed.

William has added the bleed manually, by making the canvas size 2171 × 1571 (instead of 2100 × 1500 with a bleed amount of 3 mm) so there’s no bleed to disable before exporting.

If you create a rectangle and then go to the Transform panel, you can use the controls there to set its dimensions to 2100 × 1500 and its position to (35, 35). Dragging the rectangle and dropping it onto the thumbnail of the image will crop the image appropriately, and rasterizing the cropped image (or a copy of it in a new document) will yield a pixel layer of the desired size.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you create a rectangle and then go to the Transform panel, you can use the controls there to set its dimensions to 2100 × 1500 and its position to (35, 35).

Yes. I can do that.

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Dragging the rectangle and dropping it onto the thumbnail of the image will crop the image appropriately, and rasterizing the cropped image (or a copy of it in a new document) will yield a pixel layer of the desired size.

Ah, some of the images on the canvas are already rasterized but some are vector.

For some I would just be removing white space round the edges. 

What I am looking for is, having got the 2171 pixel by 1571 pixel image and the rectangle on top of it, and selected, is a tool that when I click it puts a copy of what, and only what, is covered by the rectangle, onto the clipboard.

The I can start an A4 document, paste from the clipboard onto it, then centre the image on the A4 page.

I am wondering if this is some sort of crop or mask or matte or whatever that I don't know what it is called and therefore cannot find in the help - though recognising that such a tool may not exist in Affinity Designer, though I have not really ever used those sorts of tools anyway so I do not know where to look.

I have removed pieces from around edges of bitmap images in Microsoft Paint by adjusting the size on the properties panel and using flip horizontal and flip vertical in combination, but I am wondering if there is a method in Affinity Designer.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

45 minutes ago, William Overington said:

What I am looking for is, having got the 2171 pixel by 1571 pixel image and the rectangle on top of it, and selected, is a tool that when I click it puts a copy of what, and only what, is covered by the rectangle, onto the clipboard.

You can put multiple objects, including a 2100 px × 1500 px rectangle, onto the clipboard, and then create a new document from the contents of the clipboard. In the new document, group everything except the rectangle and then drag the group to the rectangle layer’s clipping position in the Layers panel (i.e. immediately below the rectangle layer, but to the right of its thumbnail). Use the ‘Rasterize and trim’ option to discard the unwanted portion.

Nicolas-Jenson_2171x1571.afdesign Nicolas-Jenson_2100x1500.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)