You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Checking colours in Preflight prior to sending a document to press

I was wondering if there is a way to check the colour like Output Separation Preview from InDesign. It seems in Designer's Preflight, it just indicates many other issues but I never see anything for colour. I did a test with one of my client's project which is grayscale and one spot colour. I need to verify that all of attached images, vector file, fonts etc are 100% Black or a spot colour and not a CMYK (rich black).

• Staff

Hi @TanyaTand Welcome to the Forums,

None of the Affinity apps currently have a way to Preview colour separations.  So you would need to use a 3rd party for this type of work.

We have had a number of requests to add colour separations preview and other colour checking tools, so this might come in a future build.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 8:49 PM, TanyaT said:

Thanks. That would be great if this can be added to Affinity. I am looking for a 3rd party for colour separation (for Mac) - any recommendations?

Please! I am suffering when checking colors before printing. Sometimes I do an error and leave CMYK color instead of Pantone, because it is basicslly not possible to figure out 😭😭😭 I used Adobe for preflight checks, but it is annoying to pay a licence just for that…

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Ken S said:

Hi, is Affinity any closer to having a facility to preview colour separations in a similar way to Adobe Acrobat. Maybe an add-on that I could download?

For general color separation you can use this workaround.

however, it cannot help for spot colors.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Another workaround to check colours (cmyk, rgb, spot) would be to open the exported PDF in Affinity. It will not display the swatches (nor have a document palette of global colours) but it shows the colour values respectively the spot colour names in the Colours panel.

Try this: v1105 spot x-4.pdf

checkspotcolours1.thumb.jpg.857178bd52d2e60416122cf7280fe8e0.jpg

checkspotcolours2.thumb.jpg.7d9915e895ee07fe7181fbf390670060.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1