You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So, really, we are talking about 12 months delay for getting hands on the beta and evaluating it.

I'm afraid, it may just be too late for some of us. Too bad.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I mean they could throw out the current state of development as a beta end 2015 and that´´s what I´d also like but they might have put some thought into this decision not to do so.....

But I also wonder if there really were so much difficult things that an 2015 beta would be "unusable" or something like that .....

Saying late 2016 seems like they have not even started yet when we look at the speed of Photo and Designer - the dev team does so much in one year so that says something about the things that are still to be done....

Well I really see it as a bummer but what can we possible do? Go to their office and serve them tee to enhance their productivity even further? 

I´d have really loved to work with a DAM soon (while also leveling up my camera gear) but that´s probably also out of eye sight for the next year and I can´t blame the dev team for this, although it´s still kinda disappointing right?

It´s the different approaches 

- perfect software "slowly"

- simple software fast - sometimes these days I want this solution - but the forum obviously always demands more and more which would result in bad ratings for simple software....

I think its less about simple fast than it is about not buggy, as an embedded systems developer I speak from experience that getting code to be robust and reliable is always harder than you think and takes longer than expected.  Additionally I had a feeling that the DAM would always take longer than the other programs because its core functionality wont be relying on the same backend as the other 3 programs which they spent years developing and then are re-using most if not all of the backend between all three of the primary apps.

Hi william7,

I'm convinced they definitely have a running version of Publisher. They used it to create 2 issues of the Affinity Magazine, etc.

What they might have realised though is that it falls extremely short of the community expectations.

So they have taken an executive decision and postponed it's beta launch while improving or re-evaluating its requirements specification.

Of course, nobody blames the developers here.

What I wanted to say in my earlier post was that AFFINITY might have missed this window of opportunity to compete with inDesign.

I hope I'm wrong here.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

Hi william7,

I'm convinced they definitely have a running version of Publisher. They used it to create 2 issues of the Affinity Magazine, etc.

What they might have realised though is that it falls extremely short of the community expectations.

So they have taken an executive decision and postponed it's beta launch while improving or re-evaluating its requirements specification.

Of course, nobody blames the developers here.

What I wanted to say in my earlier post was that AFFINITY might have missed this window of opportunity to compete with inDesign.

I hope I'm wrong here.

I am doubtful they used publisher for the magazine because as MBd mentioned then they could probably go to beta with what they have, additionally when competing with someone it is a good idea to have their product so that you can learn from it and Im sure affinity is smart enough for that. Finally look how long photoshop has been around, heck the name is the verb for what it does!! and people are switching to AP so I don't think the window will close on publisher however the sooner they get it out the better for sure.

Haha of course they've go the Adobe line up!

As well as some Adobe guys will have affinity on their Mac. That's for shure. (OT the Adobe cloud runs on Linux)

It's just kinda hard to do serious fotography without a DAM and Lighrioom with AP sucks. It has to be like PS and LR where you can really store your edited PSDs and view them.

I' think APub is the same for some designers. What is a designer app good for if there's no page layout program for a brochure etc.

- of course there are exceptions and it's already possible to create great images with AP and do amazing artworks with AD

But APub and DAM are really missing pieces ... Well... I'm not arguing with anybody about this anyway right now so please forgive me this statement ;))

Seneca,

I thought the same thing until I checked the info on issue #1 (which was offered as a PDF file or as an e-book). I believe that they used iBooks Author to make the Affinity Magazine, well at least the first issue anyways (but I would imagine that they used it to create both issues).

Hokusai

post-3209-0-52725700-1448322171_thumb.png

Hmm,

Let's be clear here.

One more year before we see the beta out, another year before it comes out of beta. Give it another year before you can recommend it to your bosses.

We might as well for get about it.

Hmm,

Let's be clear here.

One more year before we see the beta out, another year before it comes out of beta. Give it another year before you can recommend it to your bosses.

We might as well for get about it.

I agree with MBd, and again with my photoshop example, that has been the defacto standard for 20 years and yet there are reasons to switch to AP, so even another 3 years wouldn't destroy publisher (certainly won't help) however rushing a premature product will destroy it, you only get 1 first impression.

And let's don't forget about the one two or even three iOS apps that are still in development.

And OS X metal support (whereas Andy or Matt said it would be easy ;) )

Seneca, please don't get me wrong, your point is valid to a certain degree but we should try to stay realistic (and optimistic :) )

I think the iPad Pro is a huge opportunity. Creatives love it and the Pencil, and having full versions of the Affinity apps means that much more people would join, it would be a must have for anybody owning the iPP interested in graphic design.

I think the iPad Pro is a huge opportunity. Creatives love it and the Pencil, and having full versions of the Affinity apps means that much more people would join, it would be a must have for anybody owning the iPP interested in graphic design.

As they have announced previously they are working on it.

Example text on a path without having to create a brush

I don't understand; Affinity Designer supports text on a path already. Draw a line with the pen tool, click on it with the Art text tool, and start typing. Or use Layer > Convert to Text Path. No need to create a brush. Were you not aware, or am I missing something?