You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there. I've owned this software for quite some time, but this is my first post here.

I'm importing multiple objects from different files and arranging them in a specific way. They are created to fit together so that there's equal spacing between and around each object (think Mondrian's work). I thought this would be incredibly quick and easy to do, but I'm completely stumped. Here is a simplified representation of what I'm trying to accomplish. For greater clarity I've included only a small number of objects. Normally, the entire page would be completely filled.affinityq.JPG.5b10fa44b0a00b613d9acb5470f7906c.JPG

I need to line up the sides marked with red, keeping the spacing between objects consistent throughout the document--approximation of the final result is shown in the black rectangle. The problem I've encountered is that snapping and measurements features seem to only work on nodes that are on the bounding boxes. There is no way to line up anything with the nodes marked with green. I can't get anything to snap to them. If I create a new object I can use those nodes as the starting point and the cursor will snap to them but, as mentioned, I'm not creating new objects. I will have pages filled with these objects, so using the transform panel would be too time consuming. I've tried every combination of options in the snapping panel but nothing seems to be working. In summary: how do I line up objects with the nodes that are not on the bounding boxes, and how do I measure the distance from an object to the lines converging in such a node?

Hi, see the possible adjustment snapping settings and their customization ...

... you may want to define a custom grid for your specific drawing purposes. And/or use additional green horizontal/vertical help lines where needed and snap & allign to those too then, in order to get the exact positioning you are after (... aka drag out as many help lines as you need from the left and top rulers side and enable snapping to them too in snapping config settings).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2