You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Background color for artboards

Hello,

it would be great if there was an option to add a background color for artboards (which is not included in exports). I often have white elements I want to export with a transparent background. Without the option to add a fake background color, I can't see the things I'm working on. 

Yes you could change the objects colors for a while and then change them back to white for exporting. Or you could add a black rectangle in the back and remove it when exporting. But this is tedious if you have to do it for several icons each iteration.

BR,

Andrej

PS: If there is an option for that, I did not find it. I googled it, I searched the forums, I watched your tutorial video on artboards.

adartboard.jpg

Thanks for your response. I did not know that you could give artboards a color like any other object. Where do I find the option for the checkered background? Is there a way to make the gray-white pattern darker? I could not find any of those options in the preferences.

BR,

Andrej

EDIT: Found it. It is in 'Document setup'. It is better, but I'd like it to be darker ;)

dsetup.jpg

2 hours ago, Andrej said:

'Document setup'. It is better, but I'd like it to be darker

There's a thread somewhere asking to be able to modify it, since the colors or the size of the checker board can be difficult to discern, depending of design, size, disabilities, etc.

But it's part of those features we ask for years without real improvment but tricks...

That's sure that some general preferences/settings for files would be helpful, in the same way, I need to modify the margin color of each file since someone get the strange idea that they should be the same blue as guides by default — no! —, and it's also annoying.

30 minutes ago, Kent Davis said:

Please set on Preferences or this picture

Those are not preferences, but already defined presets  in the apps you can't modify and save upon. If those fields/options were added, they would probably use the default ones.

I don't wan't those unmodifiable presets, I want to be able to modify them or delete them so I could have all my presets organised in the already existing tabs (print, web...).

But it's not possible. All presets I'll add to the app will be saves in the "My Presets" tab. And all the other ones will stay as they are, or will use for the current one displayed when creating a new document, some the previous settings in use (for example: "transparent background" will stay checked unless you choose a personal preset where it's not, but other options won't stay checked).

For example, there's presets in Inches. I never use this unit. I'd rather modify them to use mm or set them to format we use here, or simply delete them.
Some presets use linked document and other use embedded, etc. When I set the app to use only inked ones.

What I need is general preferences uses in all files, so those presets will use those preferences by default, and not what we've got actually. Or the possibility to modify them and set the as new default ones.

27 minutes ago, Kent Davis said:

Change the Transparency Checkerboard with this Photoshop Elements Tip (essential-photoshop-elements.com)

See "Grid Color" I believe Serif Affinity can do that. I totally disagree what you said can.t. no way. Affinity Designer can do modify!

Serif DrawPlus can do it, so Affinity Designer could be modified to do it too.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

43 minutes ago, Kent Davis said:

@Alfred yes and how? Show me screenshot on Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo please.

It cannot be done in the current versions. I only said “could be modified” (meaning that the developers know how to do it but it would need to be added in an update or upgrade).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)