You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Info Panel content question

Coming over to AP from Photoshop, I noticed a lack of info about document size, dimensions and ppi in the Info Panel (see below). In Photoshop you can select what information appears in the Info Panel (Info Panel Options). Does Affinity Photo have this feature? If not, how can I check the size, dimension and ppi for my document? Thanks.

1738525265_APInfoPanel.png.e6580457cd4543a739c05d0a776bc230.png1527190721_PSInfoPanel.png.bab08deac56cbdd74b66cc8df3276a47.png

• MacBook Pro 15 Retina, i7 Quad Core, 1TB NVME SSD, 16GB, NVIDIA, macOS 10.13.6, Wacom Cintiq
  • Mac Mini, i5, 16GB, 500GB SSD's (2), macOS 10.11.6
  • Custom PC, MSI ACE Motherboard, Intel 4.1GHz, 64GB, NVIDIA, PCIe M.2 NVME SSD's (3), XP-PEN Artist 22E Tablet Monitor

This information is shown in the title of the document window when the view tool 👆🏼Is active.

Alternatively, the Metadata/EXIF tool can be used to inspect this data.

In case you want to get this information for embedded image or pixel layers, it is shown again in the window title, when the move tool is active and the layer is selected in the layer stack.

Affinity does not provide customization „Status Information“ of the info panel like PS. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

10 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

This information is shown in the title of the document window when the view tool 👆🏼Is active.

In case you want to get this information for embedded image or pixel layers, it is shown again in the window title, when the move tool is active and the layer is selected in the layer stack.

Affinity does not provide customization „Status Information“ of the info panel like PS.

Thanks. Not as simple and direct as Photoshop (where info relative to editing is in the Info Panel) without having to go look for it in another panel (Metadata) or have a specific tool active (View Tool). And even then, I still can not find ppi resolution anywhere except when I go to Resize.

Metadata is most useful when comparing a photo to other shots in order to decide which is best to edit, not in the actual editing process. That is why a Digital Asset Manager (DAM) is used in most pro workflows prior to editing. I reluctantly use Adobe Bridge because Affinity still does not provide a DAM.

I guess the presence of a Metadata panel, complete with star rating, is Serif's attempt to compensate slightly for not having a DAM available for purchase that can present RAW and .afphoto files at full resolution with full EXIF Metadata for comparison, rating and searching. Maybe in the near future?

• MacBook Pro 15 Retina, i7 Quad Core, 1TB NVME SSD, 16GB, NVIDIA, macOS 10.13.6, Wacom Cintiq
  • Custom PC, MSI ACE Motherboard, Intel 4.1GHz, 64GB, NVIDIA, PCIe M.2 NVME SSD's (3), XP-PEN Artist 22E Tablet Monitor

11 hours ago, Rich said:

Maybe in the near future?

Good to see optimistic forum members. As we are waiting >6 month for several fixes of critical bugs (leading to immediate crash, all edit get lost since last save lost, no recovery file, no Affinity crash file, no dump file) i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to happen.

To list some of my "favorite" pains (on Desktop / Windows)

• Crash by negative input to radius in defringe filter
  • Crash by loading tiff file as bump map for lighting filter
  • Crash by loading tiff file as bump map for displacement filter
  • Crash by adding/using symbols with nested blur filters to asset library (that's a newer one)
  • Probably memory leaks leading to apps consume all RAM, getting frozen / unresponsive

But there is one thing which might let you smile faster than me: Affinity seems to prioritize new functionality over bug fixing, as new functionality is the larger driver for new customers.

It could help if you add your vote to the older feature request:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/143773-please-put-the-image-dimensions-in-the-ui/&tab=comments#comment-798385

PS: Added that crashes affect Windows specifically

Edited by NotMyFault
Added PS

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

To list some of my "favorite" pains:

• Crash by negative input to radius in defringe filter
  • Crash by loading tiff file as bump map for lighting filter
  • Crash by loading tiff file as bump map for displacement filter

FWIW, at least so for & with admittedly limited testing, I cannot duplicate any of these crashes. Running AP 1.10.1 on an Intel iMac running macOS Catalina.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Might be a Windows only thing. I can replicate all those crashes.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

14 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

When I open an image file I need to know at a glance: dimension (in units of my choice), file size (mb), colour profile and bit depth. This information quickly tells me what I need to do for whatever purpose the image is intended for. That is simply efficient workflow design, relative to looking in two panels or activating certain tools just to gather the various image data I need. Also, I do not need to know my memory efficiency or pressure -- ever.

But maybe some people need to know memory efficiency/pressure (on their 8GB systems) and other people need to know other information to facilitate their own workflow.

The solution: Give the user a choice of what information is displayed in the Info Panel via a simple "Info Options" dialogue box where you just tic boxes next to various file information types. (Now, where have we seen that?) Such a feature would enhance the value and efficiency of Affinity Photo for each user, and shouldn't require Affinity to rip up too much of their existing code to implement it.

• 2 months later...

I strongly support Rich's statements and requests.  Today I went back to Photoshop, because finding some key Metadata / EXIF information in Affinity Photo was just impossible, at least, for me.  I googled this and found "The Metadata panel is available in the PhotoDevelop and Export Personas. To make it visible, select View>Studio>Metadata." (Here: https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panels/metadataPanel.html?title=Metadata panel) But on my (latest!) version of Affinity Photo (1.10.4.1198) it is not an option on that menu in the Develop Persona.

In the Photo Persona, for one image the EXIF data shows the shutter speed (I assume, correctly) at 1/220s, but when I open in Affinity Photo the same image processed in Photoshop and saved as a .psd file, the shutter speed is shown as 10/2200s, which I assume is a bug.

Comments and feedback would be welcomed.

Trevor

19 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

To make it visible, select View>Studio>Metadata." (Here: https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panels/metadataPanel.html?title=Metadata panel) But on my (latest!) version of Affinity Photo (1.10.4.1198) it is not an option on that menu in the Develop Persona.

It's available on 1.10.4.1198 in Photo's Develop Persona for me. Can you provide a screenshot of the View > Studio menu that you see, please?

21 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

In the Photo Persona, for one image the EXIF data shows the shutter speed (I assume, correctly) at 1/220s, but when I open in Affinity Photo the same image processed in Photoshop and saved as a .psd file, the shutter speed is shown as 10/2200s, which I assume is a bug.

That is odd, but notice that 10/2200 is the same, mathematically, as 1/220. I have no idea how shutter speed is represented in PSD files.

22 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

Comments and feedback would be welcomed.

One comment, about your "supporting Rich's request": This is the Questions forum, not a forum for requesting changes. If you want to make a request for change, the planners don't look here, they look in the Feature Requests & Suggestions forum, so it would probably be more effective to post or agree over there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I, too, switched back to Photoshop last month. This was my fourth try over a period of five years with Affinity Photo, and even though it is getting better for professional workflows, it is still not quite there yet. I am willing to make a few compromises, but too many means my job is harder and projects take more time.

In addition to several issues like the one my thread is about, I have also noticed that the frequency of bugs In AP seems to be increasing on the Windoz version, which was the main reason I wanted to get away from Photoslop.

My hope for AP is for it to be fast (not bloated), customizable UI, conducive to a common sense workflow for photographers/compositors, and most important, reliable (no surprises when pushing a project deadline). Maybe in version 2.x? I will check back again next year.

30 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

I googled this and found "The Metadata panel is available in the PhotoDevelop and Export Personas. To make it visible, select View>Studio>Metadata." (Here: https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panels/metadataPanel.html?title=Metadata panel)

FWIW, in both the retail & latest beta Mac versions of AP, the Metadata panel is available in the Photo & Develop personas but not the Export one. Both the online & builtin versions of the Metadata help topic erroneously say it is available in Export Persona.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Matt and other contributors

Thank you for your comments.  Having processed my photos in Photoshop I have just now come back to Affinity Photo to try to make it display what it apparently should display.

I opened Metadata view in the Photo Persona and now it does indeed show as an option in the Develop Persona, after closing and re-opening Affinity Photo multiple times.  Unfortunately, I didn't take a screen shot before and there is no point in showing how it is now.

I did of course realise "that 10/2200 is the same, mathematically, as 1/220", but I can't understand the logic of displaying a shutter speed in that way, and have never ever seen it before in any software.  I won't waste time opening more Photoshop images in Affinity Photo, just to see how it displays Metadata in images saved in Photoshop format, so I don't if this weird presentation will be a "feature" with all of them.

Thank you for the suggestion concerning choosing the right thread.  Frankly, with thousands of postings and perhaps hundreds of threads, finding the right place to go is very hard for someone who doesn't visit the forum every day.

Trevor

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

Maybe in version 2.x? I will check back again next year.

With 2022 just started, I hope for a major upgrade this year both for Photo and for Publisher (to fix some major problems in that program, too).