You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open multiple documents at a time

Can't I open more then one document at once? Always, when I have a document open and open a second one, the first one opened is gone. Isn't there a possibility to open another document in a second tab? I want to copy content from one file to the other or to compare my designs.

Is it possible, that you have one of the Float options enabled under menu Window? If yes, use Dock All. It seems to me very unusual that the Affinities close the previous documents.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Could you please provide a screenshot showing your Affinity app with multiple documents open after using the Dock All command? As Joachim has mentioned, I've not heard of documents being closed when opening a new one previously!

Thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I found out. They do not close, they just vanish. I can see them under (german Version): Ansicht > Ansichten >

Better would be under: window (Fenster) the last entry. There is the name of the aktive file with a hook. What is this for, if not to be able to change the aktive document? Now this function is too deep in the menues hierachy.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know.
As requested, could you please provide a screenshot with your multiple documents open? It's very likely you don't need to use the View menu at all, but I'm having a hard time understanding the issue you're reporting without seeing the Affinity app on your computer!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

11 hours ago, katrinrr said:

Better would be under: window (Fenster) the last entry. There is the name of the aktive file with a hook. What is this for, if not to be able to change the aktive document?

This has been mentioned before -- that the Windows menu in the Mac versions does not conform to the usual Mac standard of showing all windows the app has open to permit switching between them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If you turn Separated Mode on the Windows menu on macOS will show each document you have open because they're in separate windows. If you turn Separated Mode off then there is just one window for Publisher listed because it is the only Mac-native window open. It's not intuitive but it makes sense from a programming point of view and I assume it's on the to do list somewhere, but likely substantially lower.

Tip: use Cmd+~ to quickly change which open document is active.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

14 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Tip: use Cmd+~ to quickly change which open document is active.

??? In all three of my Mac Affinity apps, CMD + and CMD - change the zoom level of the current/frontmost document -- the first zooms in & the second zooms out.

I do not see any place in any of them to set this keyboard shortcut to change which document is the active one. Can you explain how you set them up to do that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

??? In all three of my Mac Affinity apps, CMD + and CMD - change the zoom level of the current/frontmost document -- the first zooms in & the second zooms out.

That is Command Plus Tilde, not Minus

~ -

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

That is Command Plus Tilde, not Minus

Thanks. My tired old eyes missed that.

I guess it is a builtin 'hard-coded' shortcut that cannot be changed? I could not find it in Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, or did I miss that too?

Affinity Photo 

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I guess it is a builtin 'hard-coded' shortcut that cannot be changed? I could not find it in Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, or did I miss that too?

Miscellaneous section and they are called Next and Previous View (?)

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

14 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Miscellaneous section and they are called Next and Previous View (?)

FWIW, in the Miscellaneous section, what I see are "Switch to Next View" & "Switch to Previous View." For me, only the first is set (to CMD + the grave accent); the second is not set to anything. I don't know if these are defaults or because I changed them.

On my US English Mac keyboard, to type the tilde, I need to press both Shift & the grave accent key -- unshifted it just enters the grave accent. This is probably why I was getting nothing with the CMD plus tilde combination, even after you let me know it was not the minus character.

Anyway, the CMD plus grave accent shortcut does work for me, cycling first through each view I have set for the current document & then for the next one. 

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Anyway, the CMD plus grave accent shortcut does work for me, cycling first through each view I have set for the current document & then for the next one. 

I should have written Cmd+` to cycle through windows. I'm so used to thinking of it as the tilde key since it's been years since I needed to type a grave character.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

On my US English Mac keyboard, to type the tilde, I need to press both Shift & the grave accent key

Most of the default shortcut use characters that we can't type in French simply pressing modifier(s)+ one key. It seems the same for other languages. So we need to set them differently. It's possibly for other keyboards.

8 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I'm so used to thinking of it as the tilde key ...

Me too, most people can see the Tilde but the little accent is tough to see. To be honest I always forget what it is called, and I live in Canada, a bilingual nation.

On 10/15/2021 at 1:46 PM, Dan C said:

I'm having a hard time understanding the issue you're reporting without seeing the Affinity app on your computer!

@Dan C, this unexpected UI behavior of open files not-listed in the Window menu has been reported before – and after some of misunderstanding @Gabe logged / tagged it as afb-3965.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Me too, most people can see the Tilde but the little accent is tough to see. To be honest I always forget what it is called, and I live in Canada, a bilingual nation.

I had to search through the Mac Emojis & Symbols window to figure out that the accent's name is "Grave Accent."

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
On 10/17/2021 at 4:00 AM, thomaso said:

Dan C, this unexpected UI behavior of open files not-listed in the Window menu has been reported before – and after some of misunderstanding @Gabe logged / tagged it as afb-3965.

Thanks for confirming that for me! Issue bumped :)