You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Uploading pictures to iPad

This technically, not an Affinity question - allow me to explain please.

My workflow was to upload RAW files to iPad using Apple Card Reader, further select and then edit in Affinity.  I upgraded from Sony a6400 to Sony a7RIII (24 vs 42 megapixels) and when I go to view pictures on iPad to decide what I will keep they are all gray squares / image not visible.

I posed this question in DPReview Forum and called my camera store and I got a variety of potential solutions, the most likely being that IOS cannot read Sony compression, so I took some pictures today without compression, but the same result as compressed.

Perhaps someone here has experienced the same problem and found a solution ? - keeping my fingers crossed.  Thanks 

You may try the Official Mobile App from Sony intended to transfer images. These Vendor Apps are often capable to convert images into a format compatible with the mobile devices.

I did not check if your camera or iPad is compatible, please try on your own.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id489191124

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

You may try the Official Mobile App from Sony intended to transfer images. These Vendor Apps are often capable to convert images into a format compatible with the mobile devices.

I did not check if your camera or iPad is compatible, please try on your own.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id489191124

Sadly, the App does not support RAW transfer 

Thanks for the suggestion 

I posted this to Apple Support Forums

Uploading RAW files to iPad (Sony ARW)

I recently upgraded my camera from Sony a6400 to Sony a7RIII, the fundamental difference is Full frame and higher resolution to 42 megapixels.

My prior workflow was to upload pics from SD card using the Apple SD card reader to iPad where I would be able to further delete unwanted pictures before importing into my Photo Edit software - Affinity.

With the new camera, the RAW file images are not visible, they appear as gray squares in Photos App. They are visible in the Edit software so there is no data loss.

I have tried to upload to iPad in both Compressed and Uncompressed formats. The Sony RAW files still have an .ARW extension so as best I know they are the same as before, just bigger.

Could it have something to do with the latest IOS update 15.0.2 ?

Would really appreciate a solution, thanks

Don’t want to discourage you, but the accelerated innovation cycle in camera industry since about 3 years  lead to new camera models or firmware updates repeatedly introducing new features for RAW formats which lack support by any software, including Affinity, Photoshop, iPad OS, and camera brands own apps.

It takes often years until application regain their ability to interpret new/changed RAW files.

This may sound harsh, but your options are limited:

• Prioritize your current workflow. Then you may need to choose the camera model that is compatible 
  • Prioritize new camera model. Then you may need to adjust your workflow 

If and when support will be available is totally out-of-control for us. Those who might know rarely share and keep it confidential until releasing their product.

Never the less, there is still a chance that a solution or workaround will become available tomorrow morning. Don’t give up hope.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Ah, a solution !

If I set the camera to take RAW + jpeg, the merged file is now visible in Photos.

I am not sure that when I import the picture into Affinity I am actually importing the RAW "component", but I am told by a Forum contributor on DPReview that the file is merged and that is what will happen.  Anyway, my workflow is now restored and here is an example of a picture I took today, though interestingly the EXIF data is lost (that will be another detective project for another day)

Please be gentle with my editing skills, they are in progress 

4B9C8867-56EA-43AC-AC5D-7AA9C4003ADB.jpeg

Nice! Lovely picture. It's more important to take the right pictures, then editing becomes totally superfluous.

Happy to see your issue solved so fast.