You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.10)

Before be buying by Microsoft, Expression was an incredibly software with a bunch of good ideas. But an ugly grey old school interface. We can compare it to a ferrari motor in a trabant car…

I hope you will get some nice features inspiring by Expression.

Expression and Truespace have been killed by Microsoft…

Artboards snapping is a bit buggy, this screen shot comes with new file with just two artboards, no other object in files.

Art board won't snap at all when they are organized in column.

If all these little bugs would be removed till Christmas, that would be awesome ;-)

Thnx for great work there!

post-1445-0-83982100-1448268956_thumb.png

So 1.3.6. I guess... will it be free update for us who purchased 1.3.5 or will we need to pay some extra fee?

Well, you know how the Apple Store works. You cannot charge for updates. I wouldn't expect any additional charges before Serif call the new version for 2.0 and sell it as a separate app on the store.

One could argue if the added functionality since version 1.0 shouldn't already qualify for a 2.0 version, though. The development pace has been tremendous.

Just wondering, when is the next scheduled update for the Mac App Store version? I don't like to run the betas beside my 'official' app. Bascially, all I'm asking is....when can I get my hands on all these new goodies?!?! :D

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

I'm getting a really strange crash in the latest beta...

I saved the file, closed it, then tried to open it again.

First it said it had to open a recovery version. Then said it couldn't open it at all because it was already open in another app (?!). 

I quit AD and reopened, and the file opened fine, but now every time I close that particular file it says AD has quit unexpectedly.

Finally, every time I opened AD that file was permanently open. I eventually got it to stop by opening a different file, closing the first one, then quitting AD.

It's like it was stuck in some kind of crash loop.

For what it's worth, the newest beta has solved all of my PDF  export crashing problems.

What are plans for exporting document with multiple artboards?

In this beta (when lucky and AD won't crash) exporting to jpg or whatever picture format exports all artboards into one document.

Hopefully we would be able to export them to separate files, soon…

• Staff

What are plans for exporting document with multiple artboards?

In this beta (when lucky and AD won't crash) exporting to jpg or whatever picture format exports all artboards into one document.

Hopefully we would be able to export them to separate files, soon…

File->Export should already have a dropdown at the bottom to let you choose which artboard/area to export... The Export Persona will be extended to include an auto-generated slice for each artboard in the document too :)

Are you getting crashes with anything specific?

The clipping issue with members of a child group having gaussian blur I was having is still around.

See attached file. The red shape with the blur is not being correctly clipped. Take the blur off and it clips properly. Note: this only seems to occur when its a group - direct children seem to work fine (move the red layer out of the group and it'll work fine.

Looking good so far otherwise :)

Broken Clipping.afdesign

I'm having a ton of crashes with 1.3.5.9 and 1.3.5.10.  Sent them all in via the usual reporting mechanism; they seem to happen most frequently on closing a document, but it's hard to say what exactly is causing it.

Otherwise, the beta is looking great.  Still having large SVG sizes when there is an effect on a curve, but otherwise the SVG export is much improved.

I will say that I really really dislike that the artboard tool sits under the move tool.  I'm constantly switching back and forth from the node (A) and move (V) tools.  I always hit "V" before I need the move tool (regardless of where I currently am), and I've ended up in the artboard tool a ton of times when I just meant to be in the move tool.  It's making me crazy!  I don't mind artboard being under move, but could we pleeeease bind it to a different keyboard shortcut?

• Staff

Hi April,

You can customise the Tools shortcuts in Affinity Designer Beta ▸ Preferences, Shortcut Keyboards section. Change the second dropdown to Tools and edit the list as you see fit.

Alternatively, you can also go to menu View ▸ Customise Tools..., remove the combined Move/Artboard button and replace it with the independent buttons for the Move Tool and Artboard Tool.

I agree with April re the art board tool, but I have changed my keyshort and it's fine.

Regarding shortcuts. I changed my "deselect" keyshort to "command shift A" but it only works in pixel mode. Why is that?

Finally, is there a way to turn off the keyshort toggle? I really don't like the toggle workflow. When I hit V I want the move tool, when I hit C I want the corner tool. I'm finding I have to hit the keys twice a lot of the time to toggle to the right key. I see your reasoning with it but I would rather not have that behaviour.

I agree with April re the art board tool, but I have changed my keyshort and it's fine.

Regarding shortcuts. I changed my "deselect" keyshort to "command shift A" but it only works in pixel mode. Why is that?

Finally, is there a way to turn off the keyshort toggle? I really don't like the toggle workflow. When I hit V I want the move tool, when I hit C I want the corner tool. I'm finding I have to hit the keys twice a lot of the time to toggle to the right key. I see your reasoning with it but I would rather not have that behaviour.

Agreed here. Moreso an issue for me in Photo too, where I've worked on digital painting and constantly am hitting shortcut keys to switch tools, like the brush and eraser, and find that I'm being switched to the pixel brush, mixer brush, etc., so I have to type a key several times to get back to what I was going to before.

Edit: Yes, just a toggle to turn this on/off would be great. :)

Agreed here. Moreso an issue for me in Photo too, where I've worked on digital painting and constantly am hitting shortcut keys to switch tools, like the brush and eraser, and find that I'm being switched to the pixel brush, mixer brush, etc., so I have to type a key several times to get back to what I was going to before.

I hear ya!

All I'm asking for is a choice. i.e. a preference toggle for the toggle would do it. ;-)

I would like an option to replace a pixel layer with an appropriately scaled to match external picture. Many of the mockups come with pixel layers in fixed sizes. Have to make clipping mask for each one then place picture, then resize. A pain in short. 

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• Staff

All it does is change the shortcut key on the menu item so it should work as normal. You can check this by seeing if there is a shortcut key attached to the menu Select -> Deselect.

As far as I'm aware, deselect only removes the pixel selection.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.