You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.10.1.1142] Live Displace filter crashes very frequently when loading external map

I don't really have any other information about this other than the title.

Sometimes loading displacement maps work, others it causes the app to crash instantaneously. I'm making my own maps using the same technique for all and saving in the same format, TIFF 8bit greyscale. No point in attaching the files that cause crashes since it seems to happen at random, sometimes the exact same files crash the app while other times it works just fine.

I have however attached the latest crash report, which happened with a displacement map. It might help narrow down the cause.

Thanks!

EDIT: I was just fiddling around and it seems like saving the displacement maps as JPEG instead of TIFF reduces the amount of crashes. Might just be a coincident too.

f831d2b6-6567-487b-9d67-b5a32cddc877.dmp attachment_Log.txt

Maybe related to

As you already found out yourself, as a workaround avoid TIFF format when loading as displacement map or lighting map, functions which may share some code leading to both being affected. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Hi @LCamachoDesign,

Thanks for the crash report.  Could you tell me if you have openCL enabled or disabled in Preferences>Performance and if its enabled, are you able to replicate the crash it with it disabled? Also could you attach one of the displacements maps that has caused a crash for you?

I'll get QA to confirm if its related to the thread @NotMyFaulthas linked too, it certainly does sound like it will be, just odd that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

Hi @LCamachoDesign,

Thanks for the crash report.  Could you tell me if you have openCL enabled or disabled in Preferences>Performance and if its enabled, are you able to replicate the crash it with it disabled? Also could you attach one of the displacements maps that has caused a crash for you?

I'll get QA to confirm if its related to the thread @NotMyFaulthas linked too, it certainly does sound like it will be, just odd that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  

It's enabled, but I've tried to disable it too, makes no difference.

Sure, it's attached.

If it's any help, it seems this file in particular always makes Photo crash when you try to use it as a displacement map. I've created it using Photo as well, if that helps.

Girl T Shirt Mock Up.tiff

• Staff
22 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

If it's any help, it seems this file in particular always makes Photo crash when you try to use it as a displacement map. I've created it using Photo as well, if that helps.

Thanks for the file :) I wasn't able to get a crash on my 16GB M1 MacBook Air or my Windows 10 Dell Laptop, i7 with 32GB of RAM, using that file and i tried opening several images and applying the map to each one and no crash.  I've got a lower spec PC in the office, that i'll try with on Monday.

Whats the specs of your PC?  As i wonder if that could be a factor.

I get a crash too. For specs see signature. No other HW/OS/driver related issues so far when using Photo, no OpenCL related issues.

If i save tiff as png, no crash.

If i save png again as tiff, always crash.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.