You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity TV - Beta Testers Required!

Andy Somerfield

Hm.. so when you make new tutorials, we wouldn't be able to see them unless we have apple tv?
Or will we find them on Vimeo like we do now?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Thanks Mike,

There is no requirement for Xcode or other dev tools - Apple kindly facilitate beta testing on Apple TV (Gen 4) devices through their "Test Flight" programme - looks like you simply install the Test Flight app from the App Store, then begin testing! :)

I must say, it seems to work very well..

Andy.

A new Apple TV is on my Christmas list...Guess I will miss Beta stage by then?

The inclusion of the App store is long over due, no iPlayer made the old one annoying. I ended up buying a Roku for UK TV and just using the Apple TV for streaming video from iTunes. Really exciting to see what this new one opens up.

I would have preferred a channel like adobe has on http://www.twitch.tv. Free and accessible via all the non Apple Tv specific devices. That is a huge  market space that untapped by many and has huge potential.

Out of interest, how does that work? Twitch TV is primarily used for Games - mainly live streaming and E-Sport. Creative work and tutorials is the last place I would expect that site to have. If you take a look at Twitch about page, their first line is:

'Twitch is the world’s leading social video platform and community for gamers.'

I would expect these contents to be available on Vimeo and YouTube though, not Twitch.

Hello, Andrew. 

Yes, you are correct Twitch is a predominantly a gaming community. This is how Twitch.tv had started, but they are expanding their reach into other creative areas. They have a music channel and a creative channel. Many of the creative streamers are artists, designers, painters, sculptors and, etc. The talent ranges from the known to the not so well known but highly skilled. Many of the Artist who develop a strong following get contacted by Adobe to stream a 1- 2 hours.  I don't think anyone gets paid for that, but I think really in the community it more beneficial to the streamer as well as adobe to align with each other from a branding perspective. It a smart approach from Adobe perspective because it increases its brand awareness and image at the same time. It cost nothing to stream. I also DJ and I have my own channel and stream every Tuesday and 12 EST (-5GMT) live on Twitch. Apple tv is fine but, I think Twitch  is a fabulous addition and in some cases a better alternative because it not locked into one specific platform. Twitch can be accessed, by a multitude of android tv boxes, Roku, firesticks, Chromecast, computers and mobile devices.Twitch also has an IOS app and a Android App. Another big plus is the fact that there is a high amount of live community interaction through the chat functionality found in the browser and mobile interfaces. So, your not just talking at your viewers you are actually interacting and answering their questions in real time if you also choose or leave them to talk amongst themselves So, Yes Twitch is it a big gaming community but think about who playing and who is making games. 

To further address how Twitch is trying to expand their artist community and aligned themselves with Adobe as a launch partner to expand their reach in the creative artist arena.  here a recent link to a write up about a campaign they launched a few weeks ago.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/29/bob-ross-twitch/

Here is Adobe's Channel You find Terry white on there, but you also find popular Twitch Streamers streaming under Adobe Brand. Adobe literally can do nothing as long as the streamers show up at their designated stream time.

Here is a direct link to the Twitch TV Creative Section

Honestly, I don't watch as much tv anymore I just pull this up on my tv and watch other creatives and occasionally join in the chat.

-R

Adobe doing something free?

Nothing Adobe does is free lol. Someone going  pay and at the moment it is  all of us caught in the subscription matrix lol.  I want out, I am working with too many big commercial clients that get  too nervous to add anything outside of adobe in their workflow, but when I am not forced to use Adobe I use Affinity ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYL28a0LM_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYL28a0LM_A

• Staff

Here is a direct link to the Twitch TV Creative Section

Honestly, I don't watch as much tv anymore I just pull this up on my tv and watch other creatives and occasionally join in the chat.

That's actually very interesting.

My friends and I are avid users of Twitch since we stream our own contents, and participate in spectating E-Sports for many years (even before they got rid of Justin.tv). However, I must admit that neither my friends nor I have ever realised there was a creative section amidst all the gaming content. You can see that no where on Twitch main page do they actively advertise their Creative section. Their categories are purely Game base - Featured Games, Top Videos, Top PS4, Top XBox... If you go into any section itself, the left navigation panel only refers to browse Games, not creative content. Even promoted channels and advertising are all game related. So we were never aware such a thing existed. I think Twitch really needs to make it more publicly visible especially if they want it to be a viable alternative to YouTube.

The content we currently have on Apple TV is not isolated to that device since all the videos are available on Vimeo. Vimeo (as well as YouTube) is also available as apps on multitude of platforms so it isn't really an issue.

If we ever do live streaming then Twitch is a good platform, (although personally I think the servers for YouTube are better :P) and one of the advantages as you have mentioned is live chat. :)

That's actually very interesting.

Their categories are purely Game base - Featured Games, Top Videos, Top PS4, Top XBox... If you go into any section itself, the left navigation panel only refers to browse Games, not creative content. Even promoted channels and advertising are all game related. So we were never aware such a thing existed. I think Twitch really needs to make it more publicly visible especially if they want it to be a viable alternative to YouTube.

The content we currently have on Apple TV is not isolated to that device since all the videos are available on Vimeo. Vimeo (as well as YouTube) is also available as apps on multitude of platforms so it isn't really an issue.

If we ever do live streaming then Twtch is a good platform, (although personally I think the servers for YouTube are better :P) and one of the advantages as you have mentioned is live chat. :)

I totally agree they need to make it more apparent that they have a creative section. The whole Bob Ross thing that was displayed on the front page of the channel browser for some time and I think that was their initial nod at bringing awareness. Like you said before it is a prominently a gaming community so of course that will be most apparent because that is their user base.  The gaming audience is what they built  their whole business on. It obvious to me that they are looking at their user base interest and are looking to expand their reach. I don't think they trying to replace a youtube or Vimeo that does not fit their audience culture as you already know, but I think they're looking at the things that their community is interested in and they are trying  creating a place where the synergy of community interaction can happen in a way that makes them feel connected. In the long run, that connection with their audience is worth more than the content. Youtube, Vimeo, etc have their place as an on-demand content repository, for the most part,(because youtube does have live streaming now) but the key to longevity is through the connections made by the teachers, students and the community as a whole. 

As for my comment about being locked into one platform I apologize I did mean to imply that it was a bad choice in any way I was just mentioning all the other platforms that are supported because I have friends who have done the apple tv thing and were turned off because of its lack of flexibility outside of the apple ecosystem. These people are looking at these alternatives that connect their TVs to the content they want without having to be apart that whole apple thing where they felt like they could only do what apple's requirements allowed. Now with that being said, this may not be a consideration for you right now since AD and AP are apple platform only and to draw the attention of users who do not own an apple computer may come with its own headaches but if you do expand it may be something to consider in the future.

Just food for thought really. I just was sharing my perspective. 

Anyway, great job on all the great content you guys have provided thus far. I don't have an apple tv box, but I can access all your other content from my other devices (Chromecast, Roku, M3 android box) anyway. Thanks for your time and the chat Andy. Cheers!