You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A poem in Language Y

William Overington

poem_in_Language_Y.png.ff09369d97c4a661cfda56f17fd761b4.png

William

These asterisks are not part of the poem: they are included so that in the event of any reviews being added to this thread, any new reader may, if he or she so chooses, read the poem and consider the poem uninfluenced by any reviews before perhaps adding his or her own review to this thread.

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi William, 

This looks very interesting, for the uneducated could you perhaps tell me how to read it?

C

The following may be helpful, reading from about half-way down page 3.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_chapter_005.pdf

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Which Affinity app did you use, William?

Affinity Designer.

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Is it in any way significant that the second-last glyph in the last stanza is slightly offset to the right?

Not significant to the poem.

Significant that I did not spot it!

Something has gone wrong.

I will try to find out and if I can fix it I will try to do so and change the image.

I made the image large so that I could if I so choose send off to Papier for a greetings card to frame, then I produced this image 700 pixels tall from the original artwork, which is 2171 pixels tall (that is 7 inches plus 3 millimetres top and bottom at 300 dots per. inch)

William

17 minutes ago, William Overington said:

2171 pixels tall (that is 7 inches plus 3 millimetres top and bottom at 300 dots per. inch)

I see that you’re persisting in the use of mixed units, although I do understand how that originally came about. Three millimetres is the standard bleed amount for metric document sizes, but for Imperial measurements the standard bleed amount is one eighth of an inch: two eighths of 300 is 75 pixels, not 71 pixels.

By the way, all the ‘shades of grey’ glyphs have a midline in the square. Perhaps it’s just me, but the omission of that line from the ‘black’ glyph seems to spoil the progression a little.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have found the problem and fixed it and replaced the graphic.

Each line of the poem is centred, and should have just one character glyph in it.

The blank lines each have a space, this being so that it is easy to change the font size to fit the poem into the available space. In the event I used 16 point for this poem.

In front of the offset glyph was a space that should not have been there.

The spaces in the font are quite narrow in relation to the glyphs used in the poem.

The reason for this is not anything to do with these glyphs, it is because when I made the first version of this font I started with a copy of my Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font, simply for convenience.

The font used to produce the graphic, in a file named LOCSE977.TTF, is available from the following web page.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_research.htm

The glyphs are in the Private Use Area of the font, but that is just for convenience for making graphics.

I am hoping to make an OpenType font where the glyphs are accessed by using the sequences of an exclamation mark followed by three digits as if they are ligature glyphs.

William

18 minutes ago, Alfred said:

By the way, all the ‘shades of grey’ glyphs have a midline in the square. Perhaps it’s just me, but the omission of that line from the ‘black’ glyph seems to spoil the progression a little.

Yes, I understand what you mean.

The reason, not offered as a justification, just as a reason, is that I started off with the colour sequence of the resistor colour code and the Petra Sancta line shadings used to indicate colours in black and white diagrams, originally for diagrams relating to heraldry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatching_(heraldry)

In that system, black has both horizontal and vertical lines. I thought it could look poor if I adapted that in my system, and the glyph relating to white would have nothing at all at its right side so I thought of it as a paint pot with paint added into it, so the paint pot is empty for white and full for black and half-full for grey. I realize that that idea of a paint pot is not followed as such for light grey and dark grey, but I thought that what I used would be clearer, particularly if the glyphs were drawn by hand.

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I thought of it as a paint pot with paint added into it

You’ll be pleased to know that I thought of a paint pot when I saw your glyphs.

I realize that that idea of a paint pot is not followed as such for light grey and dark grey, but I thought that what I used would be clearer, particularly if the glyphs were drawn by hand.

I thought of that, too, so I can see why you didn’t simply have a full-width line going across the square at different heights. It’s just that since you kept the midline to go with the half-width top line, it seems inconsistent that you removed it when the top line became full width for the last glyph in the sequence.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
2 hours ago, William Overington said:

119 views of this thread as I write this note, yet no reviews of the poem so far.

Maybe this will help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_term

William

I think this is likely down to the language chosen for the poem, it feels somewhat more like homework than a poem I tried to translate it yesterday and got the following which I believe to be wrong.

Grey Light Grey
Grey Light Grey
Grey Light Grey Red
Grey Light Grey Red Cyan
Grey Light Grey Red  Green Blue

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

4 minutes ago, Callum said:

I tried to translate it yesterday and got the following which I believe to be wrong

I don’t think you’re mistaken in that belief, @Callum! Each stanza begins with “Black, White”. (You may well be correct about the other colours. I’m afraid I haven’t bothered to check.)

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Callum said:

I think this is likely down to the language chosen for the poem, it feels somewhat more like homework than a poem I tried to translate it yesterday and got the following which I believe to be wrong.

Grey Light Grey
Grey Light Grey
Grey Light Grey Red
Grey Light Grey Red Cyan
Grey Light Grey Red  Green Blue

@Callum Thank you for having a go at localizing into English.

The result should be sixteen lines, with some blank lines spacing it out in places.

William

54 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m afraid I haven’t bothered to check.)

Ah!

@Alfred Perhaps the opportunity to localize into French might be of interest?

One line in particular might be interesting?

William

26 minutes ago, Ali said:

Into Vogon, anyone? ;)

I suspect that ‘Here is an ode to a small lump of green putty.’ is yet to be encoded as a localizable sentence. :P

Alfred spacer.png

35 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I suspect that ‘Here is an ode to a small lump of green putty.’ is yet to be encoded as a localizable sentence. :P

You are correct

However, my localizable sentences system does allow for the possibility of Private Use localizable sentence glyphs, suggested as having somewhat wider glyphs than the regular set.

For example, on page 3 of Chapter 17 of my first novel.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_chapter_017.pdf

William

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.
La couleur est rouge.

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.
La couleur est rouge.
La couleur est turquoise.

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.
La couleur est rouge.
La couleur est verte.
La couleur est bleue.

William

The colour is black.
The colour is white.

The colour is black.
The colour is white.

The colour is black.
The colour is white.
The colour is red.

The colour is black.
The colour is white.
The colour is red.
The colour is turquoise.

The colour is black.
The colour is white.
The colour is red.
The colour is green.
The colour is blue.

William

41 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The color is turquoise.

The PDF that you linked to earlier (Chapter 5) says the colour is cyan. Although turquoise is a cyan-like colour, it’s a more greenish shade.

Alfred spacer.png

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.
La couleur est rouge.

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.
La couleur est rouge.
La couleur est turquoise.

La couleur est noire.
La couleur est blanche.
La couleur est rouge.
La couleur est verte.
La couleur est bleue.

At first, I thought you were giving us translation exercise :)

…And I saw the following post.

Perhaps the glyphes don't allow this, but I though about the old songs for children, each time repeating a sentence and adding a new words at the end... I suspect you've got this also, it was probably meant to train memory?