evtonic3

Is there a code difference in displacement filter?

Leave it to me to find the most unpopular posts on here but I believe I just come from different era of photoshop use. So here's the deal: I love to use displacement filters on certain images that really make em pop (google them and be amazed), sure its a dinosaur of a filter but so cool when used right. My findings are that the way Photo does their maps is almost , almost like PS except that I believe there was an error in the output of how this filter should work when compared to PS. Here I've attached a simple image stripping the most basic of anything in real life but perfect to show how displacement is not working right. SO displacement should see that anything dark or moving towards the dark end of greyscale should are "low" and anything that is light or moving towards the bright end of greyscale are "high" and if you look at this example, the PS version the letters dip on the darks and raise on the whites, and the greys in between are shifts towards the other. In Photo there seems to be no low or high, almost as if they are the same. The letters do not shift at all the only areas that move are the greys in between but like I said they don't arrive at a low or high in the shape of the letters. If I were a betting man I would say this could be fixed very easy and maybe its only a few lines of code, but I'm not a programmer so I can't really say. I hope this gets fixed for I really enjoy the way Photo handles this filter.

post-733-0-49240400-1447997286_thumb.jpg

post-733-0-62989200-1447997292_thumb.jpg

I've been playing with this and it doesn't seem to be working they way I would expect it to work. I'm going to log this with our developers to see what they say. Thanks for letting us know :)

10 minutes ago, hilavoku said:

It can't be that such a functionality hasn't been addressed.

You say it can't be, but it clearly hasn't been addressed yet! I hope they'll fix it soon.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

I agree.. it's pretty much unusable as it stands now. It totally ignores all shades of gray. As an old hand, Displacement still one of my essential tools for photo manipulations and compositing. I' m stuck with round tripping between AP and an old copy of PS 5.0 for now. Come on Affinity, this is a very basic tool and it simply doesn't work in Affinity Photo.

FilterForge (which installs as a plugin to Affinity) has several displacement filters. The main problem is that it is much more expensive than Affinity itself!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

20 minutes ago, hilavoku said:

Today you can get the basic edition for $37.

From where? It’s usually four times that much!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

As you already know, our Displacement filter works differently to other apps. Your comments/feedback about this tool are logged with our developers and they will hopefully look at ways to improve it in the future. Unfortunately, I can't give you a timescale for when this will be.

Re: Filter Forge:

On 2/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, hilavoku said:

Today you can get the basic edition for $37.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:30 PM, Alfred said:

From where? It’s usually four times that much!

On 2/7/2018 at 4:33 PM, hilavoku said:

Directly from the website: https://www.filterforge.com/

The Filter Forge website is currently only offering version 7 or an upgrade from v6 to v7.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 24/11/2015 at 3:52 PM, Leigh said:

I've been playing with this and it doesn't seem to be working they way I would expect it to work. I'm going to log this with our developers to see what they say. Thanks for letting us know :)

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

As you already know, our Displacement filter works differently to other apps. Your comments/feedback about this tool are logged with our developers and they will hopefully look at ways to improve it in the future. Unfortunately, I can't give you a timescale for when this will be.

What did the developers say when you logged the issue, Leigh? Did they acknowledge that the filter is currently buggy, instead of just saying that it “works differently”?

Alfred online2long.gif

Thanks for the screenshot, @hilavoku. It looks as though a coupon code is the missing piece of the puzzle: where did you get yours?

Alfred online2long.gif

2 hours ago, Leigh said:

I just can say: LOL. There is a clear definition what a displacement filter should do with a given bitmap. Clear mathematical basic vector calculations have to be done. 
As evtonic3 clearly did show in his first post the computation of the displacement within AP is wrong and to say it just works differently then to other apps is of no help. Wrong is differently that is true...

Two pixels which only differ in their x/y coordinates and given a displacement map where the displacement information for those two pixels are different can't result again in those two pixels which still have the same information and coordinates as before. That is no mathematical correct displacement.

I watched some video tutorials and even there you see the bug.

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Thanks for the screenshot, @hilavoku. It looks as though a coupon code is the missing piece of the puzzle: where did you get yours?

Hi @Alfred. I just went to their website and clicked on the button. Just use the coupon you see in my post. I won't buy FF. :-)

I still have hope that the guys at serif do their homework and fix the wrong displacement filter.

23 minutes ago, hilavoku said:

Hi @Alfred. I just went to their website and clicked on the button. Just use the coupon you see in my post. I won't buy FF. :-)

I still have hope that the guys at serif do their homework and fix the wrong displacement filter.

Thanks again, @hilavoku. I don't really need FF either: I was just curious! Like you, I hope the devs fix the displacement filter in Affinity Photo.

Alfred online2long.gif

Alfred
After watching a few of Affinity displacement videos, I'm not so convinced they quite know how it is used. I really like the idea of using a lower layer to displace, assuming it can read enough gray  scale info. I'm still in the habit of creating gray scale displacement maps, just to make sure. This displacement tool definitely does not interpret them properly nor does it react as it should. I like this software and I'm well aware that it is still in a state of early development, but this is a very basic tool that is in serious need of attention. It means AP stays in the barn for many projects that I do.

Steve

I'm trying to replicate the face in the gnarly tree (PS displacement tute on utube) and AP on iPad, using the displacement filter seems incapable of producing anything like what can be achieved on PS. Perhaps I am using it incorrectly, but I don't think so. 

Hopefully any fix for the desktop will be reflected on the iPad.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.146 Affinity Design 1.7.1.1 Publisher for iPad ?