You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make the HEX color input available on all types of colors

How would hexadecimal input for HSL or CMYK be useful? H is in degrees (0 - 359) and both S and L are percentages (0 - 100). CMYK values are all percentages, too.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just select what type you want for that. I would like HEX because is the usual one for my to copy and paste no matter on what type of color I am.
Select to be the RGB like 123,123,123 if you are on RGB, same for HSL, or what type you want for all.
Or 2 input, one for usual you prefer and one for that type.

I like to use the HSL, but I want to copy/pase the HEX or maybe RGB and I can't on some situations.

For degrees it is just getting used to knowing that there are 0x168 degrees in a circle instead of 360. And top value for percent is only 0x64. Have to go now, it is getting on to A o'clock here (local time).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 6 months later...

I would like to second this.

Being able to copy/paste hex codes from any of the color selection dialogues would be super helpful. I know there are other ways of accomplishing the same thing, but copy/pasting a hex code is the simplest and most intuitive way when you just need to match a color quickly. Plus it'd be nice to only have one RGB option, since "RGB hex" would be unnecessary.

2 hours ago, willcarter said:

Plus it'd be nice to only have one RGB option, since "RGB hex" would be unnecessary.

It wouldn’t be nice for users who are more comfortable with decimal values than hexadecimal values.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 months later...

Agreed on needing hex values in all color panels.  All my art work is for web, and copying and pasting hex values is a very common action for me.  But in general, the color panel needs to be simplified greatly.  One of my most common color actions it to create a gradient.  I almost always want a lighter version of the current color as the other side of my gradient.  In Fireworks (I know you get sick of hearing about FW, sorry), but it stores all my most recent colors in a little swatch section in the bottom.  It also has a darkness slider underneath the color wheel, so I can use a lighter/darker gradient with a single control without worrying if I changed the grey level.  It does lack a hex value box on the color wheel, so it's not perfect, but with the "recents" section, the hex box isn't needed.

Color Panel Wishlist:

1.  Give me fewer panels.  Can't you display RGB and Hex values in the same RGB panel instead of having two separate panels that are almost identical?

2. Display recent colors at the bottom of each panel, so I can copy very quickly the same color to multiple objects

3. Give me a color wheel that displays hex values, either by using the common one seen in FW, or by adding a hex box to your HSL color wheel

4. Give me a lightness slider

Current workflow for gradient: 1. Click on the dark end of the gradient.  2. Open color panel to RGB Hex.  3. Copy hex value. 4. Click on the light end of the gradient. 5. Open color panel to RGB hex. 6. Past copied value.  7. Open HSL wheel 8. Try to click on the exact spot that is a lighter version of the current color. 

In FW: 1. Click on light side of gradient. 2. Click on recently used color swatch 3. Drag lightness slider in desired direction.

FW - 3, AD - 8.  FW for the win!

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 1.28.46 PM.png

If you are running Mac you can double click on the colour well of the colour panel and get this Colour Chooser panel. I don't know if something similar is available for Windows.

2072092180_ScreenShot2022-09-02at2_19_17PM.png.ee55e6dd7f120e6b12d807f4c1a313e7.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I don't know if something similar is available for Windows

Yes, just the same.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1