You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo: Would it Work on a Surface Go 3?

Forgive the query, but I've looked at the tech specs for AP and for the new Surface Go 3 (minimum spec), and can't work out whether it would be powerful enough to run AP. I am doubtful because of the video card requirements, but just thought I'd ask here in case anyone already knows the answer.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

A lot of the processing is done by the CPU, why not use the trial version to take Affinity Photo for a run on your surface, this is probably the best method to find if what you do with Affinity Photo will be ok for you.

https://store.serif.com/en-gb/checkout/?basket=71ca8f7aa62c8f35d9f602c4b4d7c33bbae11fa1ef71f784

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for your response. Not sure I made myself clear, though!

I already have AP on my laptop. I am considering purchasing a Surface in addition, so was hoping that someone might be able to offer some insight before I do. If it helps, I'd only be using the Surface with AP for developing RAW files and/or basic retouching. The heavy duty work would be done later on my laptop.

The entry level Surface Go 3 has an Intel Pentium Gold G5600 processor.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

Interesting post here: https://onetechtraveller.com/what-software-can-the-microsoft-surface-go-handle/ referencing Affinity software.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

That's really helpful - thank you!

Looks like I might get away with the entry level Go 3 for what I want.

Thanks again for finding that for me - I hadn't stumbled across it. :)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

23 hours ago, Ali said:

I am doubtful because of the video card requirements,

For what it's worth I looked up the specs for the Intel Pentium Gold G5600 processor and it seems to use an Intel UHD Graphics 630 graphics card. I have an Acer desktop which uses the same graphics card and Affinity Photo works well with it. (I'm not too sure about this, but I assume video card and graphics card are the same thing in this context!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

This is also good to know. I'm beginning to feel that I can make a more informed decision now.

I used a Surface Pro at work before I retired (I was a teacher), and having also had iPads, resolved that at some point my tablet of choice would be a Surface (I prefer a Windows environment to an iOS one - personal preference). I don't want to shell out for the higher-powered models because this is very much a secondary device for me, one that I'll use when I'm out and about and for casual browsing, and occasionally when I go on a photo shoot. Photography is something I wanted to take up again once retired, and now I can.

Thank you both again for the useful insights. :)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

18 minutes ago, Ali said:

That's really helpful - thank you!

Looks like I might get away with the entry level Go 3 for what I want.

Thanks again for finding that for me - I hadn't stumbled across it. :)

Happy to help 👍

Just as a postscript to this thread, I went ahead and purchased the entry level Surface Go 3 and have installed AP. I have yet to use it, but when I do, and if I have any issues, I will report back here.

Thanks again for the help and advice. :)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

@Ali

Completely OT but it's good to see another ex-Community Plus member here!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, tifferella said:

Can you please update whether Affinity worked well on the Go 3?

Hi tifferella,

for photo editing, the Surface Go 3 is sufficient. However, astrophotography and photostacking will push the CPU to its limits.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!