You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird printing problem with wrong colours

I've downloaded the FedEx logo (.svg file) and wanted to print it. The colours of the logo are royal blue and orange. Those colours look fine on my calibrated display. When I printed the logo, the blue turned up as black, very odd.

Then I calibrated my  Brother printer (with xRite i1studio), and tried to print again. Same result. (Obviously I did use the printer colour profile in Photo, and I also added the profile in the Windows colour management).

Then I read that perhaps exporting the image to a pdf file, and using Acrobat to print the file, could solve the problem. So I exported the file to pdf, looked at the file in Adobe Acrobat, and saw black instead of blue.

I can understand why colours turn up a bit different on a real printer, but in a pdf file I would expect them to be the same !!

How can this be explained, and am I doing something wrong? 

testprint2.pdf FedEx_Express-big.afphoto

Without seeing the SVG file I would guess that it uses CSS styling which the Affinity apps don't support. I encountered a similar problem with a downloaded SVG file a few months ago.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=apl-148

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 16.7.2 (iPad 7th gen)

16 minutes ago, grunnvms said:

No, this must be a different problem. With your problem the image did not show up correctly in Affinity. With me, the image shows up with no problem at all. It is just the printing that causes the problem. 

You’re quite right, of course! As you said in your original post, it’s very odd. Your *.afphoto file opens correctly for me, and exporting to PDF gives me the expected blue.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 16.7.2 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Your *.afphoto file opens correctly for me, and exporting to PDF gives me the expected blue.

Same for me on my iMac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
On 10/8/2021 at 4:20 PM, grunnvms said:

I've downloaded the FedEx logo (.svg file) and wanted to print it. The colours of the logo are royal blue and orange. Those colours look fine on my calibrated display. When I printed the logo, the blue turned up as black, very odd.

Then I calibrated my  Brother printer (with xRite i1studio), and tried to print again. Same result. (Obviously I did use the printer colour profile in Photo, and I also added the profile in the Windows colour management).

Then I read that perhaps exporting the image to a pdf file, and using Acrobat to print the file, could solve the problem. So I exported the file to pdf, looked at the file in Adobe Acrobat, and saw black instead of blue.

I can understand why colours turn up a bit different on a real printer, but in a pdf file I would expect them to be the same !!

How can this be explained, and am I doing something wrong? 

testprint2.pdf 2.49 kB · 6 downloads FedEx_Express-big.afphoto

Hi Grunnvms

I can't seem to recreate this problem here I'm afraid. Please could you go to File > Export select PDF and then hit the More button and ensure embed ICC profile is ticked and that the profile dropdown is set to Use Document Profile.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Your original artwork is in ROMM (ProPhoto) RGB in 8bit.  This is a large gamut color space and is not really amenable to saving or manipulating in 8bit color precision - however, that is not such a big deal here, as there are only 2 colors and no gradients, etc

When you print, you need to specify the RENDERING INTENT of the conversion that is done from the working/source color space of the file into the output color space of the printer.  There are four rendering intents:

Perceptual

Relative Colorimetric

Saturation

Absolute

Rendering intents are different ways to instruct a conversion of a large gamut color space into a smaller space - they differ in how the colors that are out of gamut in the larger space get translated into the smaller space.

For graphical artwork such as your logo, saturation rendering intent is probably best, as it will tend to preserve the blue in the logo.

I am not sure how the PDF artwork was generated, but for printing the rendering intent can make a huge difference with colored graphics, versus a photographic image, for example.  You do not want to convert into or assign the printer ICC profile to the artwork in Affinity Photo - just print from the source color space (ROMM RGB), specify the printer-paper ICC profile in the print dialog and tell the printer what rendering intent you want to use - the print driver software will do the appropriate conversion.  You can use the printer's ICC profile to soft-proof the image in Affinity Photo - add a soft proof adjustment layer to the document and then specify the printer's ICC profile as the device you want to simulate and see if you can reproduce the problem on screen.  You can also try converting the image's color space to a smaller working color space like AdobeRGB or sRGB to reduce the gamut prior to printing.

Without more detail regarding your workflow, it is difficult to tell exactly why the blues in your logo are turning black.  Somewhere along the way, color management decisions are being made without your full control or knowledge and the color numbers are being interpreted differently than you want/expect them to be.

Kirk