The colour is yellow.
The colour is green.
The colour is blue.
The colour is magenta.
It is summer.
It is sunny.
The colour is sky blue

The artwork is from the thread

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138654-artwork-for-greetings-cards/

The poem is from my first novel.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_chapter_005.pdf

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_chapter_034.pdf

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/novel_plus.htm

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

@William Overington  To correct the beat:

"I give you a rhyming couplet to say

Today is National Poetry Day"

🤓

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

There once was a man from Nantucket -

a poet whose skills didn’t cut it.

When his words failed to rhyme

(which was most of the time)

all his work would get tossed in the bucket.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

12 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

@William Overington  To correct the beat:

"I give you a rhyming couplet to say

Today is National Poetry Day"

🤓

Thank you.

"the beat"?

Can you possibly explain please? It is one of those things I should probably know, but actually do not.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

36 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Thank you.

"the beat"?

Can you possibly explain please? It is one of those things I should probably know, but actually do not.

William

Is it just a matter of syllable count being the same?

Or is there more to it?

Is it to do with iambic pentameters, of which I have read, but which I don't seem to have "got"? 

William

5 hours ago, William Overington said:

Is it just a matter of syllable count being the same?

Or is there more to it?

Is it to do with iambic pentameters, of which I have read, but which I don't seem to have "got"? 

William

In your poem, it is a “beat,” or the number of syllables in each line.  Your first line has 8.  The second has 10.  “Iambic pentameter is a rhythm structure used most commonly in poetry, that combines unstressed syllables in groups of five…..”. Etc.  see https://www.studiobinder.com   Also https://www.thoughtco.com An Introduction to Iambic Pentameter.  Shakespeare used it a great deal.  Note the last word rhyming pattern of lines ABAB.

“When in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate
Etc.

Sonnet 29 — includes the line “Desiring this man’s art, and that man’s scope” which accurately describes my awe of — and gratitude for —  the knowlege and professionalism of so many forum members who share with us here.

@smadell’s hilariously funny posting above is a superb example of a Limerick.  They are usually supposed to be funny, five lines only, with a rhyming pattern of AABBA.  Lines AAA have the same number of syllables and last word rhyme, while lines BB have fewer syllables with the last word rhyming (but not with the last word in lines AAA.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

32 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

@smadell’s hilariously funny posting above is a superb example of a Limerick.  They are usually supposed to be funny, five lines only, with a rhyming pattern of AABBA.  Lines AAA have the same number of syllables and last word rhyme, while lines BB have fewer syllables with the last word rhyming (but not with the last word in lines AAA.

“Usually” being the operative word! One of my favourite limericks (or rather, verses in limerick form, since the genuine article tends to be somewhat bawdy) goes like this:

There was an old man of St. Bees
Who was stung in the arm by a wasp.
When asked, “Does it hurt?”
He replied, “No it doesn’t.
I’m so glad it wasn’t a hornet!”

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

“Usually” being the operative word! One of my favourite limericks (or rather, verses in limerick form, since the genuine article tends to be somewhat bawdy) goes like this:

Definitely not “usually” but terribly funny!  Definitely a keeper.  Thank you!!

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Who was stung while climbing some trees
He said "I've ripped my shirt
"Do you think you could sew it up please?"

William

One last entry from me (because I just had to)…

488951328_TheMidnightRideofNationalPoets.png.cb17dbd8524b3ba27d92c984ee8fd704.png

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Typeset in a Venetian style font.

What is the font please?

Not the one used in this document I think.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_colophon.pdf

and definitely not the font in this one!

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_novel_author_note_after_chapter_046.pdf

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I’m not so sure, William! The attached screenshot shows part of a line from Seth’s post, overlaid with the same words in red Goudita Serial (a very close cousin of Goudita SF) with tracking adjusted to +25‰.

AEFEA6C0-BE91-4CF1-A9D6-24BCCE8F67CB.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I have not heard of Goudita Serial.

Can you say something about it please?

Brendel Infomatik GmbH produced the SF fonts supplied with Serif software. SoftMaker Software GmbH, probably best known for its Office suite, also sells fonts, and if you peruse a showcase of those I suspect you’ll recognize a name or two.

Alfred spacer.png

@smadell   Hands (or pens) down, definitely the winner!  Finis.

The font is: LTC Goudy Italian Old Style. 13 point, regular type, if I remember correctly.

3 hours ago, smadell said:

The font is: LTC Goudy Italian Old Style. 13 point, regular type, if I remember correctly.

Ah yes. That was a metal typeface years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_Goudy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces_designed_by_Frederic_Goudy

That second link states that there was an itaiic.

Does your electronic font have an italic please?

The reason I ask is because the design of the regular is, I think, based on a font from the 1470s used by Nicolas Jenson, and italic type was not invented until later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Jenson

The above linked page has an illustration of a type he used.

William

@William Overington - My digital version of the font has a "Regular" typeface, only. No bold, no italic, etc.