You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hierarchical sections

Hierarchical sections would go a long way toward solving a number of problems related to book structure, from automating running heads to assembling books from separate parts.

A simple example is running heads. Say I have a book divided into several parts, each containing several chapters. Say I want the left page running head to say "Part 1" and the right one, "Chapter 3". As it stands now, I have to create a separate master page for each Part and manually enter its title (the right page's running head can use the <Section Name> field to insert the chapter names automatically).

With hierarchical sections, I would only need a single master page for all Parts; its left running head would be a field, <Section Name level 0> and its right running head, <Section Name level 1>, or something similar.

Please consider implementing this.

You don't need hierarchical sections to get running heads to follow multilevel headers (basically what would appear in TOC entries).

Lest you think I am opposed in any way, no.  We really do need the ability to assemble books from parts laid out in separate documents, and sections certainly seem central to that.  And we really do need the running heads.  I'd judge that Publisher's weakness in fields and references is more of an obstacle to running heads than the absence of hierarchical sections, though.  In Ventura Publisher, there were various fields for (multilevel) header contents that appeared on a page, and that's what we used for running heads.