You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - Images with clipping mask disappear when exported as B&W.

In Affinity Publisher, I create color documents, and then:

• Export them as Black and White PDFs
• OR place them inside other Affinity Publisher documents that use a Black and White color space and then export as PDF. 

When I do this, any images that use a clipping mask will disappear in the final exported PDF. 

Bizarrely, this only happens if I place the image from inside Affinity Publisher 1.10. 

If I get a document that was originally created in Affinity Publisher  1.9 and open that document inside of 1.10 and then copy and paste and an image from that document into my Affinity Publisher 1.10 document, then it will work correctly.

So I think there's a new bug with how Affinity Publisher 1.10 places images that is causing this disappearing image problem. 

If I recreate the whole document in Affinity 1.9 it works fine as well.

Photos of the problem 

Here is my Document in Affinity. The dog is an Affinity Photo file that has a clipping mask. 

722988047_1-artworkinApub.jpg.07f5e6e57c744b4cfe6cbb81fb51b5b6.jpg

And here is how it looks when it exports as a black and white PDF:

2-Export.jpg.78f3654d1e546c6df9ce00f175ace067.jpg

As you can see the Dog that was placed directly inside of Affinity 1.10 has disappeared. The dog that was copy and pasted from a document created in Affinity 1.9 works fine.

Here is the export settings I am using. 

1112001803_3-ExportSettings.jpg.b0a6d2ea2ded456dc6d1d101dd9a5355.jpg

Here is how the images appear in resource manager:

1968388956_4-ResourceManager.jpg.0a0b9960063dfa4ad0becd685e7e00f3.jpg

They are both the same image, but interestingly the dog pasted from 1.9 is listed as an "Affinity" document instead of "Affinity photo".  Interestingly, the 1.9 Dog is a missing link. If I relink it, then it stops exporting correctly. Which again makes me think that there's something with how 1.10 brings in images that causes problems. 

If you can provide the private dropbox link, I can upload the files so you can try it for yourself. 

Gotta say between this and the "Linked Publisher documents get displayed as blank pages" issue, 1.10 has really destroyed my productivity! Tasks that used to take 2 mins, now take hours to diagnose!

1 hour ago, Pauls said:

Thanks, I have uploaded it. 

If you open the file and export it as a B&W PDF (without relinking any of the images) you will see that the dog image that was placed directly in Publisher 1.10 does not export (it disappears). Only the dog that was copied and pasted from a document that was created in Publisher 1.9 exports correctly.

If you relink the image, and then export the document as a B&W PDF again, none of the images will appear in the exported PDF.

So that suggests there is a bug with how Affinity 1.10 places images. 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thank you so much again. 

34 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I've added this to an existing report - other than rasterizing the image(s) i cant see a workaround either

Thanks! Fingers crossed the team can fix it in the next bug fix update, otherwise I might have to downgrade to 1.9, as rasterising doesn't really work with my work flow. 

Also, let me know if I can provide any other info to help with the bug. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Staff

Thanks for the updates, unfortunately there's been no further development update to the bug report currently - but I'll be sure to inform you here when that changes :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 7 months later...

@Pauls @Dan C This still seems to be an issue in Affinity Publisher V2. However, it only seems to happen if the color space is changed when exporting a PDF. (For example, when exporting a PDF, if I select Color Space: As document, it seems to be fine. But if I select Color Space: Gray, the problem occurs. 

Should I start a new thread for it in the V2 forum?

• Staff
9 minutes ago, big smile said:

Should I start a new thread for it in the V2 forum?

Yes please, we're working through a large backlog of tickets at the moment but we'll be sure to action this ASAP and a new post would help us to more easily track this :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)