You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to apply adjustments to the entire image after re-cropping?

Hi,

I imported an image, cropped it. Then applied curves adjustment with a mask to apply the adjustment on a specific area. I re-cropped the photograph to include more area. The adjustment layer is incorrectly applied on the newly accommodated area, because it was never included in the mask. So when I'm cropping out, the adjustment is automatically getting applied to the accomodated area.

Steps to reproduce:

Step 1 : Import image

Step 2: Crop the image

Step 3: Create an adjustment layer with a mask

Step 4: Edit the adjustment layer

282974940_Screenshot(33).thumb.png.093e8ecd7bd4caac01b59473b3447bda.png

Step 5: Re-crop to include more area

Step 6: Check if the adjustment layer is not applied on the additional area included in Step 5

1998624082_Screenshot(34).thumb.png.2f1709db4e86bfc054989aac2b8d3ce3.png

I want the mask to remain the same and not allow the adjustment layer in the newly accommodated area. Any help or directions in this regard is appreciated.

Edit: If I select the mask and paint black over the unapplied area, the adjustment layers vanishes from that region. But are there any other ways to do this automatically when we expand the crop?

image.thumb.png.a5145dc3230034f6ef758b674cfd4d8d.png

Regards

Gokul

If I select the mask and paint black over the unapplied area, the adjustment layers vanishes from that region. But are there any other ways to do this automatically when we expand the crop?

Not that i know.

But i think there is a faster way than painting. You decide.
Taking your image as an example, what i usually do is make a selection with the Rectangular Marquee tool and with the mask selected fill with the primary/secondary colour.
I assigned a shortcut for that.

Edit > Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts > Photo (Edit)
- Fill with primary colour
- Fill with secondary colour

The "D" and "X" keys can also be handy.
In your example you dont even have to use the marquee tool. I just pretended there was some masking in there.

Why are you double-masking an adjustment? They have a mask built in. That white thumbnail in the layers panel, is the mask.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

9 hours ago, Lisbon said:

If I select the mask and paint black over the unapplied area, the adjustment layers vanishes from that region. But are there any other ways to do this automatically when we expand the crop?

Not that i know.

Taking your image as an example, what i usually do is make a selection with the Rectangular Marquee tool and with the mask selected fill with the primary/secondary colour.

In your example you dont even have to use the marquee tool. I just pretended there was some masking in there.

Yea, this method is definitely faster. Thanks for the tip. Have a great day!

8 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Why are you double-masking an adjustment? They have a mask built in. That white thumbnail in the layers panel, is the mask.

I create a mask of an object, then duplicate it incase I want to edit that object with more than 1 adjustment layer. Let's say you have a landscape with a boat in it. Now when you want to apply multiple adjustment layers to that boat. What do you do? If it was just 1 adjustment layer, then directly adjust the mask present in the adjustment layers makes sense, if it was multiple, how to duplicate that mask to multiple adjustment layers? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Gokul PM

• Staff
6 hours ago, icemelting said:

Let's say you have a landscape with a boat in it. Now when you want to apply multiple adjustment layers to that boat. What do you do? If it was just 1 adjustment layer, then directly adjust the mask present in the adjustment layers makes sense, if it was multiple, how to duplicate that mask to multiple adjustment layers? Any help is appreciated

You can simply create your adjustments and with the mask layer at the top of the layer stack, group the mask with the adjustment layers - this way the mask will only affect the adjustment layers  -

(original)

image.png

(mask on)

image.png

(mask off) -

image.png

I hope this helps :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

You can simply create your adjustments and with the mask layer at the top of the layer stack, group the mask with the adjustment layers - this way the mask will only affect the adjustment layers  -

(original)

image.png

(mask on)

image.png

(mask off) -

image.png

Hey @Dan C,

You are awesome.

Thanks for sharing this technique. I’m very new to layer based editing and this method is an absolute gem to use.

Previously I used to create a mask and nest it to an adjustment layer. If I need more adjustment layers to apply on an object, I add new adjustment layers and copy paste the mask as a nested mask for each one of them. It worked for me, but now it feels a bit stupid after seeing the method you shared.

If you don’t mind, I have a few questions that would help me understand this technique better.

1. Why does a mask behave differently inside and outside a group?

2. When I place the mask at the bottom of the group it yields a result similar to the technique I was using earlier and that seems more appropriate. When the mask is at the top of the group, the effect is a little different and the adjustment layers are more abrupt (it’s not gradual). Any reason for this?

3. How is nesting a layer different from placing it at the top of a layer?

Any directions are appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Gokul PM

About the original problem, of mask using only the visible part of an image (as in ignoring bleed in APub, or once cropped), it would be interesting if the mask was effective on the whole image in each case.

With this, we can widen a visible area, move an image in an image frame, re-crop larger, etc. with few adjustements to adapted the partially painted margins now visible.

For example, if I used a gradient on a mask, it would go behond the visible part of this image, since the mask would cover the full image. And I would be able to crop differently/move from the bleed, etc. without complexe work to recreate the missing parts we usually get.

1 minute ago, Wosven said:

About the original problem, of mask using only the visible part of an image (as in ignoring bleed in APub, or once cropped), it would be interesting if the mask was effective on the whole image in each case.

With this, we can widen a visible area, move an image in an image frame, re-crop larger, etc. with few adjustements to adapted the partially painted margins now visible.

For example, if I used a gradient on a mask, it would go behond the visible part of this image, since the mask would cover the full image. And I would be able to crop differently/move from the bleed, etc. without complexe work to recreate the missing parts we usually get.

Hey @Wosven,

I’m totally on your side with this one. This feature of expanding the mask with the crop already works good with the iPad version of Affinity Photo.

I’m new to this forum. Is there a way in which we can request for features of suggest changes? If you are comfortable with the procedure, kindly take this forward as a feature request/suggestion. If it’s much, kindly direct me, so that I request for the same. Thank you.

Regards,

Gokul PM

• Staff

No problem at all, more than happy to help!

23 hours ago, icemelting said:

1. Why does a mask behave differently inside and outside a group?

When masks are grouped with Affinity, they will only apply to other layers within the group, allowing the flexibility of editing options, such as shown in my example.

The mask becomes 'tied' to the Group, rather than affecting the whole document.

2. When I place the mask at the bottom of the group it yields a result similar to the technique I was using earlier and that seems more appropriate. When the mask is at the top of the group, the effect is a little different and the adjustment layers are more abrupt (it’s not gradual). Any reason for this?

I'm not seeing this here, but this could be cased by either a) a blend mode applied to the mask, or b) partial transparency in the mask. Could you please provide a copy of your document where you see different results based on the masks position?

3. How is nesting a layer different from placing it at the top of a layer?

Placing a layer at the top of the stack will ensure it is applied to all layers beneath. When nesting an adjustment, it will then only affect the layer it is nested to, or multiple layers contained within a group, if nested to a group layer.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:28 AM, Wosven said:

Here some features posted:

Hey @Wosven,

Thanks for taking this forward. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. A workaround for now is to paint black instead of white in the expanded area. I have shared a method below, to do the same. In case of gradients, you might have to redo the gradient once the crop has been expanded. Hope this is helpful.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:56 AM, Lisbon said:

Not that i know.

Hey @Lisbon,

The said technique, of painting black or filling black using a rectangular marquee in the expanded area could cost some valuable time if we have portions in the boundary that were masked previously. I figured out another workaround. This seems to be efficient and less error prone than the said methods. Appreciate your view on this. Thank you.

Step 1: Invert the mask before expanding the cropping.

Step 2: Expand the crop.

Step 3: Invert the mask back to normal.

This automatically expands the mask.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, Dan C said:

I'm not seeing this here, but this could be cased by either a) a blend mode applied to the mask, or b) partial transparency in the mask. Could you please provide a copy of your document where you see different results based on the masks position?

Hey @Dan C,

Thank you for the explanation. It is definitely a lot clearer now.

Yes, as per your response to Question #2, this happens when I have partial transparency in the mask. But as I said the position of the mask at the bottom seems more appropriate rather than at the top as it applies the effects of the adjustments properly to the partial transparent areas in the mask. I am attaching the Affinity Document for your reference. Here is what I did.

Step 1: Create a rectangle with some color.

Step 2: Select a portion of the rectangle as "Mask".

Step 3: In the mask, create transparency by painting gray in some area.

Step 4: Group the mask.

Step 5: Add the adjustment layer to the mask group and adjust the values.

Step 6: Toggle the position of the mask to the top or bottom of the group.

Step 7: The difference should be evident.

example.afphoto

Kindly have a look at the document and please share your views on this.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Regards,

Gokul PM

• Staff
19 hours ago, icemelting said:

Yes, as per your response to Question #2, this happens when I have partial transparency in the mask. But as I said the position of the mask at the bottom seems more appropriate rather than at the top as it applies the effects of the adjustments properly to the partial transparent areas in the mask. I am attaching the Affinity Document for your reference. Here is what I did.

Step 1: Create a rectangle with some color.

Step 2: Select a portion of the rectangle as "Mask".

Step 3: In the mask, create transparency by painting gray in some area.

Step 4: Group the mask.

Step 5: Add the adjustment layer to the mask group and adjust the values.

Step 6: Toggle the position of the mask to the top or bottom of the group.

Step 7: The difference should be evident.

example.afphoto

Kindly have a look at the document and please share your views on this.

Thanks for the info & doc provided, this is exactly what I needed!

I believe this is a bug, there is no reason I can see for the masks position within the group to affect the partial transparency being applied, so I'm logging this directly with our developers now.