You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v10.1 : Bug in Divide blend mode and Shortcut issues

ch22

I noticed various bugs in the French version of AP 10.1 which I just bought directly from the Serif site. I am working under MacOS 11.5

1 - Bug in Divide blend mode

In principle, any layer divided by its own copy should give white everywhere, even for pure black pixels. The following screenshot shows very different results. It displays the effect of a double gradient Red-Black-Green (colors everywhere fully saturated) divided by itself.

1590328397_Capturedcran2021-10-0317_16_55.png.f07c4c0f4ec5e8f711684982c7817bf8.png

Seemingly,  white is recovered everywhere if we add blue component, i.e. when none of the colors is fully saturated.

2 - Keyboard shortcut issues

These issues only affect the French version (not the English version). The system CMD H  shortcut should hide the application itself, but it does not because it has been also assigned to the "Show pixel selection" menu. Unfortunately, we cannot resolve the conflict by assigning another shortcut to this menu because it no longer appears in the Preferences lists for shortcuts

None of these issues existed in version 10.1 distributed by the Apple Store. In return, there were other bugs in the Divide blend mode 🙂

1 hour ago, ch22 said:

1 - Bug in Divide blend mode

In principle, any layer divided by its own copy should give white everywhere, even for pure black pixels. The following screenshot shows very different results. It displays the effect of a double gradient Red-Black-Green (colors everywhere fully saturated) divided by itself.

It would help if you supplied a .afphoto file with that object in it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for your trials.

For Walt.Farell, I join the afphoto file (including history) of my attempt. I did not obtain exactly the same result, but it remains anormal.

Concerning my hardware, my video card is an AMD FirePro D500  (Metal Family : Pris en charge, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2). The metal acceleration is activated in my Preferences

bug_divide.afphoto

Thanks for the file, @ch22. It works fine for me on Windows, as it seems to have for @v_kyr on Mac.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I can reproduce the issue on iPad, both retail and beta (test flight)

Interestingly happens only for pixel layers. Same gradient on rectangular shape gets to white.

Bith then, using only one rectangular shape, and a levels adjustment set to divide atop:

The issue is always present if one color channel of the gradient is set to 0.

filed a bug report

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@Pauls, you are right, I cannot explain why I did not see it yesterday.

Unfortunately, the story does not end there. The input box for 'Afficher la selection de pixels' (in French, because the issue concerns the French menu) seems inoperant. Whatever I put in this box, the shortcut for this menu remains frozen to CMD H. Far more annoying, I cannot recover this CMD H for hiding the application

@NotMyFault: thank you, I am not the only one with this kind of problem, little recomfort! 

@all other guys: in fact, I meet up against two different bugs connected with the Divide blend mode. I prepared a short video to show how they look
(1) when a layer is divided by its own copy, some pixels with fully saturated colors do not appear white
(2) when one applies a box blur live filter on a pixel layer, a lot of fancy colors appear for small radius (other blurs are also affected, but less severely.
Depending on the options in the Preferences for performance, I observe one of these two bugs, but never the two at the same time.

I was aware of the recipe. I tried, once again. Unsuccessfully again...

In principle, all this work can be done directly from the Preferences. Alas, this fails too. The shortcut for this menu 'Afficher sélection pixels' resists to all this cleaning attempts