You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking Hair - refine doesn't work as expected

Hello,

I'm watching a lot of tutorials on cropping right now. Especially hair. Unfortunately, none of them work for me. Are there any presets that need to be fixed beforehand in the preferences?

So, selecting a person with brush (W) goes.
Then refine the hair area and select further doesn't work, because all areas that were already selected before are partially undone. So if you click on apply, you have a smear at the "edge" ziwchen hair and background.

Thanks

Die Now Live Later - KMFDM

If I understand you correctly, try, when you "Refine" only use the "Matte" brush, don't use "Feather". See if that works better.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Thank you very much.
And that is exactly how it is. I make it exact until 02:00 in the video
And exactly then I have the representation like in my screen (see above)
In relation to the video, the lower edge of the mouth loses its mask again (see Hair in my screen (3)

😞

I think the problem Mischugo is experiencing is one I get a lot as I do many publisher articles and web pages where you need to cut out the background. Often the images supplied are with backgrounds that have a mixture of colours some with very little variation in colour to the subject image. If we had nice plain contrasting background on images as per the tutorial vid it would be great, but take the image referred to in the previous post, the hair is almost the same colour of the background.

Suggestions on how to do work with these type of images would be great. I know that manipulation colour channels has been mentioned in previous articles about images of text on discoloured paper. Is this something that would help?

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

19 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

I think the problem Mischugo is experiencing is one I get a lot as I do many publisher articles and web pages where you need to cut out the background. Often the images supplied are with backgrounds that have a mixture of colours some with very little variation in colour to the subject image. If we had nice plain contrasting background on images as per the tutorial vid it would be great, but take the image referred to in the previous post, the hair is almost the same colour of the background.

Suggestions on how to do work with these type of images would be great. I know that manipulation colour channels has been mentioned in previous articles about images of text on discoloured paper. Is this something that would help?

In a professional workflow, one usually paints in the hair manually after masking until it looks natural (which requires some experience, skill and time). You can use dedicated hair brushes for this (from 1 single hair to a whole bunch of them), which can be found in the web or which you could create yourself.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

3 hours ago, Andy05 said:

In a professional workflow, one usually paints in the hair manually after masking until it looks natural (which requires some experience, skill and time). You can use dedicated hair brushes for this (from 1 single hair to a whole bunch of them), which can be found in the web or which you could create yourself.

Thank you,
that's what I was thinking about. The tutorials on "refine" made me think that went particularly well with it. Because you can just avoid the tedious manual work with it. But, as they confirm, nothing has really changed in the procedure

Nevertheless, it still bothers me a lot that already masked areas are changed... That could be worked on, couldn't it?

And, it would be great, if Affinity brings out a special brush set for it

Another surprise to look for when using refine is holes in the middle of the mask. 

Be sure to alt-click on the mask layer's icon to display the mask layer in black and white. Then paint with white over the gray areas that will show up even in the middle of the mask.

Affinity Photo 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

A creative way.

Piximperfect has several tutorials dealing with hair selection.

All can be done in Photo even if his tutorial are based on PS.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.