You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. 

I really don't know what to think about Affinity Photo anymore with M1 MacBook Pro. 

It is really having some issues with extremely sluggish healing/inpaint tools, with some issues after using it with larger files for few hours and I'm also getting this memory full alert constantly, expecially when I use CaptureOne at the same time. 

Is there a way of fixing this?

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 19.21.19.png

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 19.24.03.png

I don't think the M1 Macs have anywhere near 50 gigabytes of RAM, you should lower that number.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

M1 hardware has actually, depending on the individual configured base model, 8 GB or a max of 16 GB physical RAM memory at best.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I have too occasionally had memory leaks in Affinity apps. Affinity SHOULD not use more than system freely allocates so RAM preference SHOULD not affect that, but the setting may be connected to problem.

Quitting/restarting Affinity resets memory usage which corrects situation. If it is repeated behaviour something is wrong. Maybe setting the preference lower may help.

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

Affinity SHOULD not use more than system freely allocates so RAM preference SHOULD not affect that, but the setting may be connected to problem.

Since no matter what, the M1 can't use more RAM than is installed, the 'out of memory' warning must either be an error or a reference to total memory (RAM + VM). Unless the AP RAM limit actually refers to total memory & not just RAM, it does not seem possible that it could have any effect.

Still, it is worth trying setting a more reasonable limit to see what happens.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I had similar problems monthes ago, with APub idle in the background for 2-3 days, as I do usually on week-ends. The computer was so sluggish, it was long to close apps and even restart it after.

It was on Windows, and it seems to be solved for this OS.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Since no matter what, the M1 can't use more RAM than is installed, the 'out of memory' warning must either be an error or a reference to total memory (RAM + VM).

The memory warning includes virtual memory. System is jammed because startup disk is full (of Affinity memory leak).