You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.10.1. crashes at opening files

LEB

Dear all,

As several have reported, I have many problems with Affinity crashing at opening files.

This affects most of my former afpub files.

Publisher immediately crashes losing whatever has been modified in other open files.

As the older version 1.9.4beta of Affinity Publisher crashes similarly, I imagine that this might indicate a bug linked with one of the updates of MacOS (I am using 10.15.7). I have tried configuring AfP not to use Metal nor preflight checks, this is did not change anytrhing.

At the present time, I cannot work using those files which is a quite considerable issue for me.

I am attaching several log files.

Many thanks for your help.

Affinity Publisher Beta_2021-10-02-074306_PNeruda.crash Affinity Publisher_2021-10-02-074038_PNeruda.crash Affinity Publisher_2021-10-02-144046_PNeruda.crash Affinity Publisher_2021-10-02-153523_PNeruda.crash Affinity Publisher_2021-10-02-153912_PNeruda.crash

Same with my files. Got a mini heart attack!

I eventually opened them in AF Photo/Designer and save as .afphoto/.afdesign and then re-open these new ones in Publisher. Honestly this is probably the most powerful thing Afinity has done right is being able to open files cross-platform. Hope this helps others as well.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:56 AM, Pauls said:

if you can reopen them saving will work around this bug - Ther will be a fix coming in 1.10.2

When is 1.10.2 expected? I have similar issues with several files and it is quite disturbing. I suspect possible issues with linked files that could be the culprit. But it is not possible to relink them if the app cannot survive opening the documents in the first place.

• Staff

We think that we will need to update the Affinity suite when macOS Monterey releases, so I would expect the Windows and Mac version of Affinity Publisher 1.10.2 will be live after we have made any changes needed for that (rather than patch twice in quick succession) So at least 3 weeks but perhaps not much longer than that. Thanks for your patience

3 hours ago, Fred Lespine said:

Same here, I have a bunch of files that I was supposed to update but I cannot reopen them anymore. 😓
But I'm still running an old Mac Sierra version, so I'm not sure that the OS is involved...

Fred, you could try as suggested above to open the files in Designer or Photo if you have them available (I had best success with Photo), save and reopen the file in Publisher.

Alternatively, you could download the latest Publisher beta (at the time of writing version 1.10.2.1167) that seems to be much more stable when opening older Publisher files. I had no issues reopening files I saved through this beta in the current release version of Publisher, but you still might want to work on copies of your files, just in case.

21 minutes ago, Fred Lespine said:

Thanks. I tried it but Designer crashes as well. 😐

Yes that was my personal experience as well, but Photo was somehow, able to do the trick even if Designer failed.

Re-importing exported pdf is kind of a last resort as you can retrieve the content and layout. But to keep sanity in future document maintenance you will have to manually restore the full structure, which can be a tedious task on a large document.

Working with the beta is easy. It stays in parallel with the release version without interfering. That also means you have to separately import color palettes, assets libraries, brushes... that you would use in with your documents.