You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New file: "Access lost … document must be closed" (local disk)

thomaso

I was working as usual on a macbook and its local SSD only (no external drive connected). After creating a New document –> copy/pasting some objects from an existing .afpub –> replacing some of its images –> then suddenly (~ 5 min. after creating the new document) this message occurred:

345687140_newafpubmustbeclosed.jpg.67319d1b31955505eba48ba88be41646.jpg

Usually I first do "Save" a New document before working with it – but I guess this issue should not happen anyway. Since none of the two other opened documents was involved I wonder in what way the "Access to the document's file was lost" for the new one. It appears APub creates for a new, unsaved document a temporary file as  it does for all open documents (e.g. ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/autosave/…) and therefore would have the New data stored in the same place, among the others. So how can the access to 1 of 3 data get lost? – Below the 72 Byte file is auto-created by a new, unedited and unsaved document:

733120874_newafpubmustbeclosed-newautosave.jpg.15742d7d928f3af04f2d04e1d67786a9.jpg

What confuses me additionally is the fact that the app did not offer at any moment to reconstruct possibly lost data of this new layout document, e.g. like APub usually offers after every app crash. This way it seems APub can handle an app crash even better than this lost new document, which feels weird to me.

I am not able to reproduce this issue with same documents and workflow.

Any hint what exactly is technically going on in such a situation?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I cannot find any log file for this time of the error message. With a search for that time in file names / in file contents, the closest log files I found were from ~2 hours before and after that moment. Lack of memory is also unlikely (HD ~100GB / RAM ~4GB free).

What amazes me is that it affected a 1-page document with only 4 items, while 2 other and larger .afpubs were opened but not affected. It seems strange to me that the affected file was visible as long as I didn't press "Okay" in the error message, so I would expect APub to either save the existing content (if the connection to its .autosave file was lost for a moment) or recreate the displayed content from the .autosave data (if the connection was not lost).

Is the file in a directory managed by OneDrive? I recall some old reports about OneDrive, with some options specified, renaming files and causing problems.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, no, as triggered in the topic's title & the first post, there was nothing like an external drive connected or involved. Nothing than the macbook itself. (and the Affinity internal internet connection – but I had neither accessed the app's web image nor its update or install features).