You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Crashes when selecting one Asset category

Hi,

i started to create own assets. Photo seems to react strange when adding layers or groups containing blur filters.

As i tried to remove Asset Categories containing bogus assets, Affinity always crashes (without dump) when i try to select one Asset category. Consequently i cant delete this - you can only delete the active category.

Any idea?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Hi @NotMyFault,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! I'd like to request a copy of your Affinity Assets file, so we can test this further here and report it to our developers as required.

Can you please navigate to Windows Run (Win Key + R) then paste the below string:

%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user\

Within this folder, you should see assets.propcol (and also possibly assets.propcol_backup) - could you please attach these files here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Below you find the asset file from Photo (retail).

I get reproducible crash by

1. Open new file
  2. add gaussian blur, set radius to 3px
  3. click "Add asset from selection".

The same happens even after i reset the assets by holding ctrl during startup & using that restore dialog.

Same happens in Designer.

PS: Unfortunately I reset the damaged file already. The attached file is the based on trying to reproduce the issue which did not succeed so far.

The situation emerged after importing 3 versions of my “NotMyFault” asset file, containing different versions. Photo added all files, adding a number in brackets like  (1) and (2)  to successive versions. I was able to delete all assets & categories from the later imports, but the original category was causing the crash I originally reported. Sorry again that I did not archived that file before reset. 

assets.propcol

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

This post might be moved/joined to the bug post. 
The symptoms listed here are probably consequences of that bug (adding Gaussian blur filter as asset crashes both Photo and asset library)

On the other side, users like myself affected by this issue are faced with corrupted asset libraries and need further support to:

1. Get a clean asset library (unfortunately meaning reset to empty)
  2. Recover the content of the asset library if possible. This has 2 aspects:
    1. recover which asset were imported (a list similar to linked resources). 
      This would help to save time, as for performance reasons only limited assets are imported based on forum recommendations. It would be great if Photo would be self-documenting in this aspect.
    2. recover self-created assets (not yet exported). I’m realistic that this probably will not happen. It is not an issue for me currently, but Affinity should inform creators to frequently backup asset libraries (by exporting) to avoid loss of valuable assets.

Edited by NotMyFault

Now i have reached again the state that Photo crashes immediately when open/switching the asset panel.

• No crash report.
  • No dump file.
  • No windows event log entry

Please find the file below.
I captured the run by ProcMon if that would be of any help.

assets.propcol

• Staff

My apologies for the delayed response here, many thanks for the files and information provided!

On 10/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, NotMyFault said:

I get reproducible crash by

1. Open new file
  2. add gaussian blur, set radius to 3px
  3. click "Add asset from selection".

The same happens even after i reset the assets by holding ctrl during startup & using that restore dialog.

I can see this has already been logged by my colleague Gabe, thanks for the report :)

On 10/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, NotMyFault said:

Unfortunately I reset the damaged file already. The attached file is the based on trying to reproduce the issue which did not succeed so far.

Not to worry, I certainly understand - please accept our sincerest apologies for any previous work you may have lost due to this bug!

On 10/1/2021 at 12:59 PM, NotMyFault said:

On the other side, users like myself affected by this issue are faced with corrupted asset libraries and need further support to:

1. Get a clean asset library (unfortunately meaning reset to empty)

The best and easiest way to clear this is to simply remove the assets.propcol file from the Affinity folder, as this will ensure other presets etc are not affected.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:59 PM, NotMyFault said:
  1. Recover the content of the asset library if possible. This has 2 aspects:
    1. recover which asset were imported (a list similar to linked resources). 
      This would help to save time, as for performance reasons only limited assets are imported based on forum recommendations. It would be great if Photo would be self-documenting in this aspect.
    2. recover self-created assets (not yet exported). I’m realistic that this probably will not happen. It is not an issue for me currently, but Affinity should inform creators to frequently backup asset libraries (by exporting) to avoid loss of valuable assets.

Unfortunately as you've mentioned it would be rather unlikely for our team to be able to recover said assets - we can try loading the Assets in an internal build where it may be possible to open the Asset Studio without the app crashing, but we cannot guarantee this.

I certainly understand the request to inform users to backup their data - as a general practice I would always recommend this with any application, but I do appreciate certain users require the reminder!

Hopefully this issue should be fixed shortly, and I hope you do not lose any further work due to this bug.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)