You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why doesn't the subtract operation (always) work in AD?

Very often I am unable to subtract the top layer and punch a hole in the bottom layer. 95% of the time it works but a few times it doesn't. Please see the attached AD file - trying to carve out a simple "A" - can you please tell me what is going on or if this is a bug? I am using AD on Mac OS 11.6, AD ver 1.10.1. I am on an M1 Mac.

Why won't this work.afdesign

@abarkalo

Like this ?

Sélectionner les deux objets, créer un composé dans le menu calque et régler la géométrie sur le calque en choisissant " soustraire ".
Pour l'instant, cela à toujours fonctionné, sur toutes les versions testées (ici la 1.10).

Select the two objects, create a compound in the layer menu and adjust the geometry on the layer by choosing "subtract".
So far, it has always worked, on all tested versions (here 1.10).

383673759_Capturedcran(143).thumb.png.3fac8aeceb0de97c196964bfac24ed54.png

Why won't this work_2.afdesign

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

• Staff

Hi @abarkalo,

I can confirm this is happening in your document due to the 'Fill Mode' being set to Winding, rather than Alternate. Once this is changed, you can subtract this shape as expected -

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!