You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting to Aperture

Hi 

Could you please advise me how to export from Affinity photo back into Aperture....I seem to be having trouble with this process, am not sure if I am doing it correctly. I shoot in Raw and sometimes Jpeg

Thanks 

Chris

Thanks for reply... as a 'beginner' I am still not sure about this part of the technical stuff...

Exporting  -when export back into Aperture,  what is the difference between export 1 export 2 export 3, which diverts to a png ?

Whe exporting through File - export as Jpeg or tiff- I hear a like a warning sound in computer just before  I export to the desktop ...is this a problem?

Is there a way to export directly into Aperture instead of importing from desktop?

When I do import from desktop and close Affinity Photo, it prompts to save the photo which then just sits on my desktop as .aphoto ...is it ok to just trash this from desktop?

I am doing all this by trial and error ....am I doing it correctly ?

Thanks for your patience!!!

• Staff

Hello photofriend,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, there's a way to export from Aperture, edit in Affinity Photo and get the edited/saved photo back to Aperture.

To do this you must first set Aperture to use Affinity Photo as an external editor going to Aperture ▸ Preferences..., Export tab (on top), then press the Choose button to select the External Photo Editor and point to Affinity Photo.

For the External Editor File Format select TIFF (8 or 16 bits as you prefer). 

Now when you want to edit an image inside Aperture, right-click on it and select Edit with Affinity Photo app.... Affinity Photo will start with the image loaded (or open it if it's already running) ready to be edited. Edit the image as you wish then select File ▸ Save - a dialog will appear saying the image contains non-pixel elements -. Select Save Flattened to flatten the image before sending to Aperture. That's it. The edited image will appear in Aperture alongside the original.

----

If you want to work with RAW files directly you have to export them from Aperture: right-click on an image then select Export ▸ Original... to export the RAW file to the Finder and then open it in Affinity Photo for editing. In this case they are not placed automatically back in Aperture.

Thanks Meb, 

Your comment : If you want to work with RAW files directly you have to export them from Aperture: right-click on an image then select Export ▸ Original... to export the RAW file to the Finder and then open it in Affinity Photo for editing. In this case they are not placed automatically back in Aperture.

With the raw files, how do I get it back into Aperture...just import it ?

I have recently purchased Affinity and am struggling with the Import / Export process. Because Apple have abandoned Aperture I am using Photos. Does what you have described above concerning Aperture, work the same for Photos. Is there a plan to have Affinity Photo as an extension to Photos, which would be the best solution for me?

• Staff

Hi billbir,

Unfortunately no. Apple Photos doesn't offer an Edit in external editor functionality (like Aperture or iPhoto). You have to do it manually. 

To export a RAW file from Apple Photos go to menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original.... Then open it in Affinity Photo, edit the image and save in your preferred format. To import it back to Apple Photos go to menu File ▸ Import... and select the file or drag it from the Finder to Apple Photos.

You can also access Apple Photos's library inside Affinity Photo trough the menu File ▸ Open then navigating to the Media section on the left. However this will import a JPG version of the Photo not the RAW. Same if you access them trough Affinity Photo Media Browser (View ▸ Media Browser...)

The latest Affinity Photo Beta includes six extensions for Apple Photos: Retouch, Miniaturise, Monochrome, Liquify, Develop and Dehaze which cover part of Affinity Photo functionality. Those will also be available in the next update of the Mac App Store version (before Christmas).

Hi MEB

Thanks for that. I am surprised that iPhoto and Aperture have more advanced features than Photos, I wonder what Apples thought process was there! You say,The latest Affinity Photo Beta includes six extensions for Apple Photos: Retouch, Miniaturise, Monochrome, Liquify, Develop and Dehaze which cover part of Affinity Photo functionality. Those will also be available in the next update of the Mac App Store version (before Christmas)." I am not sure what this means. I was hoping that Affinity Photo, would be a total extension, as is Pixelmator, but this sounds to be piecemeal. Am I understanding correctly?

• Staff

Unless i'm missing something, Pixelmator's extension (Pixelmator Distort) only covers part of Pixelmator funcionality too (the distortions - warp, bump, pinch etc). It's not a full app replacement.

Yes, Affinity Photo extensions are not a full app replacement. That's usually reserved for the  Edit in an external editor functionality. Apple Photos is relatively recent. I believe Apple will still add more functionalities/features in the next months.

We also announced our own DAM (Digital Assets Management) solution for later.