You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good Morning,

my question is regarding the sources panel when working on a focus merge. I have created a new focus merge without any issue. I saved the document as .afphoto. When I open the document again I can bring up the sources panel using View => Studio => Sources. But the sources panel is empty. Is it possible to reload the images used to create a focus merge to continue editing the focus merged image, or do I have to finish editing the final focus merged image prior to saving the document?

Many thanks for your support,

Regards, Michael

6 hours ago, MichaelSOL101 said:

do I have to finish editing the final focus merged image prior to saving the document?

Yes, you must finish once you start. 

Edit to clarify that you can save the document and do more work and save and work some more save but once you close the document you cannot get the Sources back.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have the same problem and found something.

It is possible to load images used for focus merging again one by one in affinity photo. Then put all of them (one by one) in source panel : select each image, open source panel and click on the icon in the bottom part of the source panel to add each of them in the source window.

Then it is possible to see and use them again with clone brush tool on the focus stacking work in progress.

BUT the problem is :

Those reloaded images aren't aligned.

Even with photography on tripod affinity aligns images before stacking them, and modify those source images. Very visible when depth of field is very small, and distance to cver is very long (so lot of images to stack). It seems affinity distorts images before mixing them but I'm not sure.

SO the question is :

Is there a way to align those images again before using them again ?

Sorry for posting again so close, but I think I found a solution.

1 - Create a new focus merge with the same source images as your work in progress. All images will appear aligned in the source window.

2 - load your work in progress focus merge. Copy it and paste it on a new pixel layer in the new focus merge (step 1).

And that's it : your can use clone brush tool with all images sources aligned on your work in progress.

Hey JIPJIP,

thanks for your support on this topic. When i‘ll face this issue in future again i‘ll take your findings into account. Last time i started from scratch. But before i copied my adjustments into a new file to save them. So at the end this saved a lot of time and i won my first photography competition with this image 🙂🙃.

Regards,

Michael

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, sandgrounder said:

Focus merge seems to be working well for me but I have no sources panel. Where can I find it?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

It should automatically appear when you have a focus merge stack active, but if it doesn't, see if View > Studio > Sources is ticked.

If it's already ticked, perhaps you have it docked in one of the panel groups, and it's abbreviated. In that case you might try unticking it, and ticking it again. Or possibly if one set of the studios (left, right) is hidden, use the View > Studio > Show Left | Right Studio menu to make sure both are showing.

It might also be showing up on a different monitor if you have a multi-monitor setup.

If all else fails, try View > Studio > Reset Studio

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, sandgrounder said:

Thanks for your help, I now have the sources panel but no sources in it   ?

Did you perhaps Save, Close, and reopen the document?

The Focus Merge Sources are not remembered in that scenario.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, sandgrounder said:

Thanks for your help, I now have the sources panel but no sources in it   ?

Look at my 2nd posts above.

It's a workaround I found to load a focus merged project and get the source panel filled with good images and well aligned.

It works fine.

• 3 months later...

Would Affinity Photo consider or have on roadmap to store the sources in a focus merge for later opening/editing? I missed something and tried to go back to fix (after closing) and it was empty. Seems a bit off not to store the sources.

• 4 months later...