You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lost Control of My Text in Publisher

Help! I have to get this done and I am trying to arrange text but certain areas keep piling up on top of themselves and won't let me move them, add to or take away. i think it has something to do with the baseline but don't know enough. does this look familiar to anyone?

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 12.07.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 12.12.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 12.07.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 12.11.34 AM.png

1 hour ago, Bynah said:

does this look familiar to anyone?

Several things that look fishy.

a) First of all I recommend to make special characters visible (menu Text at the bottom).

b) In image 1 the leading is 72pt not aligned to baseline grid (this is done somewhere else). Yes, one can do that, but 72pt is no proper value for leading here.

c) In image 2 we see a Leading Override of 11pt plus a baseline shift of 1pt. Why a baseline shift here?

d) In image 4 we see a baseline shift of 12pt. Things are getting worse here. Asking again: Why a baseline shift here?

e) Finally we need your document for further inspection and guiding.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi @Bynah,

You should use text styles, for paragraphs and characters in your document.

Right now, it seems all is set to "No style", or nearly all. My advice would be to read and learn more about style (spending a few hours on this will help improve your workflow and not wasting time), and redo the document, applying them where they should be. It seems it was imported from an IDML file. Perhaps the original was using those styles visible in the Paragraph style panel.

If I were you, I would work from this original file, and perhaps avoid having 6 similar fonts in a same document, it'll be easier, and easier to modify existing and used styles.

But for now, you can't manage text without text styles able to give logic to your paragraphs. What you'll correct in a paragraph won't be corrected in another.

Switch off Text > Show Special Characters

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, Bynah said:

Does anyone know what this is?

The § one following "Brides" is a section marker, a.k.a the section sign.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@Bynah

Follow the advice in the post from @carl123, two above yours.

You were previously advised to turn on Show Special Characters, which is what those blue symbols are; now you can turn them off again. 

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

6 minutes ago, Bynah said:

thank you but where does it come from and why is it there and how can I get rid of it?

See this help topic for the various ways section markers can be added to your APub documents. Generally speaking, you would not want to delete that or any other typographical marker, so as already mentioned just hide them if they distract you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7