You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Australian Dictionary

Publisher will not spell check my text and get a message to the effect that it can't check Australian English.  My Windows system language is Australian, and I have the spelling checker in Publisher set to UK English.  Whenever any program I use has a spelling checker and doesn't have the option of Australian English, I always set it for UK English and have never had a problem in the past including Serif PagePlus which I used for many years.  As far as spelling is concerned, I can't think of any words that we use the US spelling so there should be no problem using the UK dictionary.  

image.png

• Staff

Hi @Carljh,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

You will be seeing this warning as your text frames are likely set to the en_AU language, although you do not have an active AU dictionary installed currently.

There are 2 options here, you can either change your text frames within your document to a language that you do already have a dictionary installed for (such as English UK/US), or we can install an en_AU dictionary, so that this error message no longer appears.

Which would you prefer to do please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all!

I've recently created a screen recording that covered this for Canadian, but all the steps remain the same besides downloading the en_AU files, and naming the folder 'en_AU' rather than en_CA as shown in the below recording -

Please also find our FAQ regarding this below, with the link to the GitHub page to download the dictionary files -

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks again, Dan.  Have downloaded the Australian dictionary and put it in a folder as per your instructions.  The only problem is that it is a RAW file and can’t find a program to open it, so nothing shows up in the folder when I move the file to it.

37 minutes ago, Carljh said:

The only problem is that it is a RAW file and can’t find a program to open it, so nothing shows up in the folder when I move the file to it.

RAW or RAR ?

I thing the latter is a compression format.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:21 PM, Carljh said:

The only problem is that it is a RAW file and can’t find a program to open it, so nothing shows up in the folder when I move the file to it.

If you follow the FAQ instructions, and the video, it is a text file with an extension (file type) like .aff or .dic. It is neither a RAW nor (as @Old Bruce) surmised, a RAR file.

What do you mean "nothing shows up in the folder"? You should see the file name there that you moved in. You don't usually Open these files, except possibly in a text editor, so I would not expect to see any program icon associated with them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Glad to hear it!

On 10/3/2021 at 6:58 AM, Carljh said:

Why does it only set the language to a text box and not as default?

Please select the text frame tool and draw a new frame - then change the language in the Character Studio.

With the text frame still selected, navigate to Edit > Defaults > Save and this will take a 'snapshot' of your current settings and apply this to all new text frame objects drawn.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, David Ampleford said:

I have the same problem as Carljh, only my error message says it's en-NZ (New Zealand English) that's unsupported. There's no NZ dictionary available on the LibreOffice website. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You have two choices that I know of:

1. Set the language for the text to a different value (English UK, or US, or AU, or another for which you can find a dictionary. You do this in the Character panel or by using Text Styles.
    or
  2. Make a copy of one of the other English dictionaries and rename the files and directory to make them work for en-NZ.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 5 months later...

Hi I have spent quite a while getting a (close to) New Zealand dictionary set up. I followed the video from Dan C Here and followed advice from walt.farrell Here but I'm having an issue where Affinity Designer doesn't recognise the dictionary at start-up & I have to select English UK from language as it's closer to NZ, but Photo & Publisher do recognise it at start-up, why is this?.
I use Designer the most.
Walt suggested to to grab the Australian version and rename it as that's close to NZ too which I have done.

It would be nice to have these set up and you just select your desired language with a checkbox in the app.

Attached is an image of the issue.spell_checker_dictionary_issue_designer.jpg.6dde2a25c3d8d98248e8f38a195c15a3.jpg

Edited by Timespider
Image was wrong

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

All applications is same type? (same Store).

P.S. Right image isn't APhoto. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Please show us the Tools section of the Preferences for both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, @Timespider.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi   walt.farrell Pšenda (fixed the above image) I have taken a screen shot of both, but as soon as you asked that question  walt.farrell I checked & noticed the difference in locations and fixed it.
For anyone else having an issue, I had selected the en_NZ directory instead the "Dictionaries" directory, it's not the actual dictionary you select, but one level up that holds them, my path is "C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries" and my en_NZ (and a few others) are in here.

What caught me was I had done this in Designer which forced it to look in "C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries/en_NZ" as that's the folder I wrongly selected,  but both Photo & Publisher which I never touched automatically looked at the correct path which is "C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\1.0\Dictionaries" an image below shows my error. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks walt.farrell

spell_checker_dictionary_issue_preferences_tools.thumb.jpg.a810798598b55df2d4960dedc00c4b9a.jpg

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

You're welcome, @Timespider. That was the possibility I was thinking about.

-- Walt
PC: