You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Want to Replicate Apple Devices Demo Photo Feel to my Photo ?

19 minutes ago, augustya said:

But Alfred I am not sure if we can copy the same settings on another image. These images I have included can act as a reference but if I apply the image settings from the images I have uploaded and I apply it to the image I am working on, who knows it may work out something bizzare and not exactly that what I am looking for ?

17 minutes ago, augustya said:

There has to be some customisation and tweaking that might still be required ? Can we blindly apply the same image settings ?

Why not try it? Then at least you’ll have some idea of what further work needs to be done to achieve a pleasing end result.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

24 minutes ago, augustya said:

There has to be some customisation and tweaking that might still be required ? Can we blindly apply the same image settings ?

LUTs wouldn't exist as a concept if it weren't possible to apply settings from one image to another one.

Will the results for any particular target image be perfect? Perhaps not, and it may depend on how close in color scheme to the original image a different image is. But a LUT may give you a good starting point to work from.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

And where do you place this add on ? As in where in the Layer ? Above the pixel layer or where?

You have to install the software like any other software.

Then you have to "tell" affinity photo the folder where you installed the NIK collection by going to:
Edit > Preferences > Photoshop Plugins
Dont forget to check the box "Allow unknown plugins to be used".
(On my Windows 10 the folder is C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection)

After restarting Affinity you should see this.

Filter.png.595524792a572031ddce92170e021bbe.png

To use the NIK Collection just duplicate your layer and open Color Efex Pro.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

LUTs wouldn't exist as a concept if it weren't possible to apply settings from one image to another one.

Will the results for any particular target image be perfect? Perhaps not, and it may depend on how close in color scheme to the original image a different image is. But a LUT may give you a good starting point to work from.

I am saying this because I have tried a couple of other photo editing apps like pixelmator photo even that offers this kind of thing, where in your drag a sample image from which you want to apply the color settings to the image you are working on, and 8 out if 10 times the final result is just weird and no way close to what I want it to give me !!

4 minutes ago, Lisbon said:

And where do you place this add on ? As in where in the Layer ? Above the pixel layer or where?

You have to install the software like any other software.

Then you have to "tell" affinity photo the folder where you installed the NIK collection by going to:
Edit > Preferences > Photoshop Plugins
Dont forget to check the box "Allow unknown plugins to be used".
(On my Windows 10 the folder is C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection)

After restarting Affinity you should see this.

Filter.png.595524792a572031ddce92170e021bbe.png

To use the NIK Collection just duplicate your layer and open Color Efex Pro.

Hey Thanks for the explanation. But what I am saying is just like you do in adjustment layer do you put it above the pixel layer or below ? that way ?

26 minutes ago, augustya said:

where in your drag a sample image from which you want to apply the color settings to the image you are working on, and 8 out if 10 times the final result is just weird and no way close to what I want it to give me !!

That is not at all what I'm suggesting. You can't just copy color settings from a sample image that way. You would need an original, and the same image, but modified. Then you can derive a set of changes that were made, and you can apply those changes to another image.

And it may do what you want.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hey Thanks for the explanation. But what I am saying is just like you do in adjustment layer do you put it above the pixel layer or below ? that way ?

No augustya, unfortunately it doesn't work like an adjustment layer.
The effect is applied directly to the layer.
So, to be safe, you duplicate your layer and with that layer selected, you open Color Efex Pro and apply the effect.

Just now, Lisbon said:

No augustya, unfortunately it doesn't work like an adjustment layer.
The effect is applied directly to the layer.
So, to be safe, you duplicate your layer and with that layer selected, you open Color Efex Pro and apply the effect.

Ok cool

Hi Guys,

i am trying to create a LUT from one of the Photos I requested the Guy in Apple Store if I could download when he agreed, I picked up this from an Apple Store. Now when I am trying to create a LUT. What I am doing is upload my target image first in Affinity Photo then go the LUT Adjustment Layer > Infer LUT then select my target image then after a while another dialog box appears then select the Sample image I wanna use to apply its image To my target image and then nothing happens  !! I do not get aLUT file ready ? So what’s going wrong here ?

• Staff

@augustya & @PaulEC - I have hidden both of your recent posts here in this thread, as they do not provide additional/helpful information to the discussion here, and are bordering on breaching our Guidelines.

We appreciate all of our community support here on the forums and we understand miscommunication can happen. I ask you both to take a step away from each other/this thread and should you choose to return here, please do so in a much more level-headed manner.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, augustya said:

Hi Guys,

i am trying to create a LUT from one of the Photos I requested the Guy in Apple Store if I could download when he agreed, I picked up this from an Apple Store. Now when I am trying to create a LUT. What I am doing is upload my target image first in Affinity Photo then go the LUT Adjustment Layer > Infer LUT then select my target image then after a while another dialog box appears then select the Sample image I wanna use to apply its image To my target image and then nothing happens  !! I do not get aLUT file ready ? So what’s going wrong here ?

To infer a LUT you need an original image, and the adjusted version of that same image, as previously mentioned. You cannot do it with an adjusted image and another image.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

To infer a LUT you need an original image, and the adjusted version of that same image, as previously mentioned. You cannot do it with an adjusted image and another image.

That changes the entire game. I was hoping LUT will take the colour equation and settings from the image I got from apple, make a cube file out of it and apply on whichever image I want it to be applied. So you are saying such a thing is not possible ?

5 minutes ago, augustya said:

That changes the entire game. I was hoping LUT will take the colour equation and settings from the image I got from apple, make a cube file out of it and apply on whichever image I want it to be applied. So you are saying such a thing is not possible ?

Right. There are no "color equations" or "settings" in a file (JPG, TIFF, PNG) that tell you what was done to it. There are only pixels and their colors. 

-- Walt
PC:

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Right. There are no "color equations" or "settings" in a file (JPG, TIFF, PNG) that tell you what was done to it. There are only pixels and their colors. 

So unless and until there is a photo which has been worked upon in Affinity Photo or Photoshop with some layers and adjustments, you can only make an LUT file out of such an project file not a plain jpeg image file which has no adjustments no layers nothing? Right ?

Just now, augustya said:

Ok looking at those pictures that I have uploaded on my first post. What kind of LUT File I should be searching on the internet ?  And any site names that come to your mind ?

Without a before image to compare with these after images I have no idea what was done to them and I cannot even begin to guess as to the type and amount of colour changes that were involved.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, augustya said:

Ok so I am correct a project file with an adjustment layer or something...

Not necessarily. You can derive a LUT from two image files, both simple JPG, for example. They just need to be "before" and "after" the adjustments were made.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Without a before image to compare with these after images I have no idea what was done to them and I cannot even begin to guess as to the type and amount of colour changes that were involved.

But aren't there many LUT files readily available on the internet ? So i am saying where and which sites should I be looking on ?

5 minutes ago, augustya said:

But aren't there many LUT files readily available on the internet ? So i am saying where and which sites should I be looking on ?

To be as clear as I can:

I cannot help you.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

20 minutes ago, augustya said:

Ok looking at those pictures that I have uploaded in my first post. What kind of LUT File I should be searching on the internet ?  And any site names that come to your mind ?

No  idea, but you can search for free LUTs and find a bunch, and try them out.

But as others have said, there's a possibility the shots you're talking about are simply well lighted, well exposed, well composed, and carefully selected images straight from the camera. And what you should do to get similar shots is use an iPhone, and/or simply practice enough to take better shots to start with. That's something I need to work on, too :) 

-- Walt
PC:

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not necessarily. You can derive a LUT from two image files, both simple JPG, for example. They just need to be "before" and "after" the adjustments were made.

What do you think about using this method to steal colours from sample photos and apply it to the photo I wish to apply it to ?

https://youtu.be/Q1h2z7iMfhM