You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Want to Replicate Apple Devices Demo Photo Feel to my Photo ?

3 minutes ago, augustya said:

What do you think about using this method to steal colours from sample photos and apply it to the photo I wish to apply it to ?

https://youtu.be/Q1h2z7iMfhM

Why not just try it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, augustya said:

My problem is should I be using and working with three colours or five Colours as shown in the video?

Try them both. No one can answer your questions without experimenting or guessing, and the answer may be different for every image.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Not necessarily. You can derive a LUT from two image files, both simple JPG, for example. They just need to be "before" and "after" the adjustments were made.

One more thing just a thought that touched my mind right now. You said to get a LUT file even a before and after of the same image may work. So how about if this Apple Image I am talking about which is my sample image, I upload it on Affinity Photo make some changes like very subtle change, apply a HSL layer and save it. Then I have a before and after of that image. Then can I use it to make a LUT file ? But the question then is will the LUT file only take into account the changes that have been implemented using the HSL layer or will the LUT file also take into account the colour grading of the entire image ?

25 minutes ago, augustya said:

But the question then is will the LUT file only take into account the changes that have been implemented using the HSL layer or will the LUT file also take into account the colour grading of the entire image ?

The LUT will have only the changes you made.

-- Walt
PC:

For the OP, in order to get a better understanding of Lookup Table (LUT), what it is and and how it's used in the cinematic world etc. to get specific color looks, you may want to read through the following guides:

Some categorizations of specific and common LUT styles can be seen at ON1:

Some LUT packages also applicaple for Affinity Photo:

Beside that, there are always different processing ways to get specific image looks and colorings, like:

• Direct inside camera adjustments and setups which influence the captured image look (for example like Nikon Picture Control offers to setup/customize image looks)
  • RAW converter based pre processing via filters and adjustments, post processing LUTs ... etc.
  • Various software based post processing filters and adjustments via plugin tools (like DxO NIK Collection, Topaz Labs, Franzis Color Projects, ... other PS-Plugins etc.)
  • Software based post processing via Macro/Action/Script based filters and adjustments processing with tools like Affinity Photo, PS/PSE, Gimp ... etc.
  • ... and so on ...

Further, not all default/original images are always applicable for getting finally every desired specific color look. Depending on the individual source image, it might not work always the way you hoped it would, meaning results can vary from image to image here depending on lighting conditions, WB, ... etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

For the OP, in order to get a better understanding of Lookup Table (LUT), what it is and and how it's used in the cinematic world etc. to get specific color looks, you may want to read through the following guides:

Some categorizations of specific and common LUT styles can be seen at ON1:

Some LUT packages also applicaple for Affinity Photo:

Beside that, there are always different processing ways to get specific image looks and colorings, like:

• Direct inside camera adjustments and setups which influence the captured image look (for example like Nikon Picture Control offers to setup/customize image looks)
  • RAW converter based pre processing via filters and adjustments, post processing LUTs ... etc.
  • Various software based post processing filters and adjustments via plugin tools (like DxO NIK Collection, Topaz Labs, Franzis Color Projects, ... other PS-Plugins etc.)
  • Software based post processing via Macro/Action/Script based filters and adjustments processing with tools like Affinity Photo, PS/PSE, Gimp ... etc.
  • ... and so on ...

Further, not all default/original images are always applicable for getting finally every desired specific color look. Depending on the individual source image, it might not work always the way you hoped it would, meaning results can vary from image to image here depending on lighting conditions, WB, ... etc.

Thanks Man ! For the most elaborate and helpful reply. I really appreciate it !

Ok, I feel thre's a lot of confusion here. I try to clear things up, and keep it as simple as possible.

First of all what you asking for is impossible to answer (what combination of adjustment is needed to make photo look certain way) if we only have "after" photos.

Second,  there's no magic LUT, adjustment, effect, plugin, whatever, which once applied will give your photos desired feel.

That's because each photo needs indivdual treatment - simple as that. Each photo has unique set of values which must be corrected in specified unique way to produce consistent output. And that bring us to third point - your best option is manual editing. Take photo you want to change and play with adjustments - HSL, curves, shadows / contrast. Do it enough times and you'll start to intuitively feel what needs to be done to particular photo for desired effect. 

19 minutes ago, gabriel_komorov said:

Ok, I feel thre's a lot of confusion here. I try to clear thoings up, and keep it as simple as possible.

First of all what you asking for is impossible to answer (what combination of adjustment is needed to make photo look certain way) if we only have "after" photos.

Second,  there's no magic LUT, adjustment, effect, plugin, whatever, which once applied will give your photos desired feel.

That's because each photo needs indivdual treatment - simple as that. Each photo has unique set of values which must be corrected in specified unique way to produce consistent output. And that bring us to third point - your best option is manual editing. Take photo you want to change and play with adjustments - HSL, curves, shadows / contrast. Do it enough times and you'll start to intuitively feel what needs to be done to particular photo for desired effect. 

Should I be also adding and touching White Balance and Colour Selection in that list you have mentioned ?

So Like these are the areas where I need to put my attention and concentration to:

1. HSL

2. Curves

3. White Balance

4. Color Selection 

How about Vibrance then ?

22 minutes ago, augustya said:

Should I be also adding and touching White Balance and Colour Selection in that list you have mentioned ?

So Like these are the areas where I need to put my attention and concentration to:

1. HSL

2. Curves

3. White Balance

4. Color Selection 

How about Vibrance then ?

First three are essential. If we speak strictly about Affinity Photo you can consider Colour Balance and Selective Colour, also Split Toning may come handy. Vibrance likely won't be useful.

Remember that depending of your source photos, there may be some areas which require individual adjustment - that's where masks and brushes will be needed.

Genarlly speaking - editing a photo is so much more than applying predefined setting with single click. While basics are easy to grasp, mastering the skill can take months if not years.

@augustya

Could this be the original image of one of the ones you posted in your first post?

image1.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

@augustya

Could this be the original image of one of the ones you posted in your first post?

image1.jpg

I seriously dont know ? lol ! I picked up these photos in 2018 from the 11" iPad Pro which was launched that Year from an Apple Store after speaking to the local guy there ? So I have no idea was it the original ? was it Post edited nothing ? But why do you feel so ? which tool have you used that makes you think and has revealed this info ?

I just found the image on Skynet, maybe you can create a LUT using it and your one

1 minute ago, augustya said:

But why do you feel so ? which tool have you used that makes you think and has revealed this info ?

None, it's how I found it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, augustya said:

Without having any adjustments or layers in the Post Edited Pictures ? can I make a LUT out of it ? 

Never use LUTs but isn't that what is being inferred in this thread?

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Never use LUTs but isn't that what is being inferred in this thread?

Because just yesterday somebody was saying unless your Photo has any sort of adjustments done to it you cannot make a LUT out of it ?

I am confused here now.

If this is possible, If someone can help me with the steps or something. I would appreciate it.

TLDR;

A starting point how I would do it:

• For the cooler look use white balance (something like -10 to -15 towards blue) or the Lens Filter using a blue colour.
  • For the matte look use the Levels adjustment and pull up the shadow slider slightly (the bottom one, something like 5 to 10%). Adjust the brightness do your liking with the middle slider (Gamma). If you want to go even further, tweak the higlights slider (the top one) to 95 or so.

Optionally, if you think the image is too soft, add Clarity (5-10%) or sharpening.

After a few pictures you'll get the feel for it. (If that's what you're going for.)

• Staff
1 hour ago, gabriel_komorov said:

Honestly it looks like edit of original posted by OP. If he got them staright from iPad in Apple Store I doubt if "original" original floats around the web

Gauging from the metadata in the image, it looks to be a sample 'Shot on iPhone 7 Plus' image - from the photographer Joao Canziani (likely shot somewhere in NY).

@augustya You can find more of this artists portrait shots at the below link, which may help you to better understand the conditions these images are taken under, and the editing applied -

https://joaocanziani.com/Portraits

1 hour ago, augustya said:

I am confused here now.

If this is possible, If someone can help me with the steps or something. I would appreciate it.

I believe what was being explained is that simply a 'LUT' will not be enough to copy the entire look of an image - you can create a LUT from one image (without adjustment layers) and apply that to another image(please see my following post), but that does not guarantee your second image will now 'look' like the first, simply the colours will have been adjusted to be closer to the original image that was used to create the LUT.

Using the image you have, navigate to File > Open in Photo and select this image.

With the image open in Affinity, navigate to File > Export LUT.

In this dialog, enter a name for the LUT and set the Quality to 64 x 64 x 64, then select Export.

Now, use File > Open and select your second image, that you want to apply your LUT to.

With this image open, select Layer > New Adjustment Layer > LUT... and in this dialog choose Load LUT...

Select the LUT you have exported, and this will now be applied to your image, as expected.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

14 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Gauging from the metadata in the image, it looks to be a sample 'Shot on iPhone 7 Plus' image - from the photographer Joao Canziani (likely shot somewhere in NY).

@augustya You can find more of this artists portrait shots at the below link, which may help you to better understand the conditions these images are taken under, and the editing applied -

https://joaocanziani.com/Portraits

I believe what was being explained is that simply a 'LUT' will not be enough to copy the entire look of an image - you can create a LUT from one image (without adjustment layers) and apply that to another image, but that does not guarantee your second image will now 'look' like the first, simply the colours will have been adjusted to be closer to the original image that was used to create the LUT.

Using the image you have, navigate to File > Open in Photo and select this image.

In this dialog, enter a name for the LUT and set the Quality to 64 x 64 x 64, then select Export.

Now, use File > Open and select your second image, that you want to apply your LUT to.

With this image open, select Layer > New Adjustment Layer > LUT... and in this dialog choose Load LUT...

Select the LUT you have exported, and this will now be applied to your image, as expected.

Wow What a collection of photos this guy has from New York. All beautifully shot photos look at the texture, the feel, the entire vibe of all images in the link. It is gorgeous, simply out of the world.

Thanks Dan ! For sharing the above link.

49 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I believe what was being explained is that simply a 'LUT' will not be enough to copy the entire look of an image - you can create a LUT from one image (without adjustment layers) and apply that to another image, but that does not guarantee your second image will now 'look' like the first, simply the colours will have been adjusted to be closer to the original image that was used to create the LUT.

Hi Dan ! 

I have followed the same exact steps as you have mentioned above. And I have made a .cube LUT File out onf one image, but when I apply it to my target image, I do not see it making any difference. Can you or anyone please check at your end if this.cube file makes any difference to the image, the reason I am saying this is because I dont know even if I have followed the right steps and have got what was expected out of it.

Here is the file.

Test LUT.cube

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, and for providing this file - I can verify I'm not seeing any changes when using this LUT file on an image here, however having discussed this further with our team here, I believe we were originally mistaken as to how LUTs are generated and for this I must apologise.

I've never personally created LUTs, and it was my understanding based on the information I had been provided previously that they can be generated from any image, regardless of adjustment layers applied etc. 

Having tested this for myself, it does not appear as though the above is true.

The .cube LUT file will be generated based on the adjustment layers applied to an image, which is why in the following tutorial, you can see a Gradient Map is used and once this is applied, you can then generate a LUT, which calculates the original pixel layer and the 'differences' applied with the adjustment layers.

Have you tried the steps suggested in the above tutorial? This may help you to achieve a similar colour grade across multiple images (and you can export to LUT once you've added the gradient map to apply this to other images)

My apologies for providing the incorrect information previously.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that, and for providing this file - I can verify I'm not seeing any changes when using this LUT file on an image here, however having discussed this further with our team here, I believe we were originally mistaken as to how LUTs are generated and for this I must apologise.

I've never personally created LUTs, and it was my understanding based on the information I had been provided previously that they can be generated from any image, regardless of adjustment layers applied etc. 

Having tested this for myself, it does not appear as though the above is true.

The .cube LUT file will be generated based on the adjustment layers applied to an image, which is why in the following tutorial, you can see a Gradient Map is used and once this is applied, you can then generate a LUT, which calculates the original pixel layer and the 'differences' applied with the adjustment layers.

Have you tried the steps suggested in the above tutorial? This may help you to achieve a similar colour grade across multiple images (and you can export to LUT once you've added the gradient map to apply this to other images)

My apologies for providing the incorrect information previously.

Yes I have tried this Tutorial just last night and I have some questions on it which I will start a new thread on Colour Grading once I have tested and experimented enough of it.

Still not sure what can be done with LUTS

But it appears I can add a Photoshop filter to any image (using Photoshop)

Then by using that image and the original untouched image, recreate that filter effect (90%, may be 100% with a bit more tweaking) within Affinity using a LUT adjustment Layer and Infer LUT

Cool, maybe now I can add some of my old Photoshop filters into my Affinity workflow

lut1.jpg