You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity software not opening on first click after reboot on Catalina

Hi there,

not sure if this has been addressed or not. ..... affinity software not opening on first click after reboot on Catalina. This happens to Photo, Designer and Publisher...All three programs purchased from the Affinity store and all updated to the latest versions. Running MacBook Pro 16in. Catalina 10.15.7  The apps will open perfectly as long as I do not reboot.

Colin

2 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I have all three apps (two from the App store, one from Affinity direct) on Catalina and don't have this problem - no help to you, I know. 

Same here. The only difference I see when launching any of my 3 Affinity apps for the first time after booting my iMac is it takes a few seconds for them to start (a few hops in the Dock) whereas after that first launch they start up almost immediately (on Dock hop at most).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Can you please check if there are any crash reports being logged by going to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder.

1 minute ago, Colin Red said:

The last Apple update appears to have fixed the problem.

Do you mean an update to macOS Catalina, to a later macOS version, or something else? I have been running the 10.15.7 version of Catalina since shortly after it was released in September of 2020. As I wrote above, I have not seen the issue you mentioned, not in any version of Catalina.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, Colin Red said:

I had an update to Catalina a few days ago. I am running 10.15.7

Are you sure the update was to 10.15.7? I ask because the crash report you posted on Monday includes this line:

OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H1419)

That is exactly the same version & build number of Catalina I have been running for about a year, & it would seem to be the same version & build you were running when the crash occurred.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, Colin Red said:

I am pretty sure it was a security update, not sure how that would effect anything

I wondered if you meant the recently released security update. It did not change the macOS version or build number. It should not have changed first launch behavior of any of the Affinity apps -- at least it never was a problem for me, either before or after I applied it.

Affinity Photo