You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher with Graphic Novel Very Slow.

Hi, I'm halfway through making a graphic novel with Affinity Publisher (latest version).

The images are all quite big (6000 by 6000 pixels typically - so maybe 590 mb each) and are all linked - not embedded. They are all much bigger than I need because I am only using part of each (I work in 3d and render out large images so I can choose to use them whole or just zoom in on a part - like a face or an eye).

So far there is minimal text.

The section I am working on at the moment is 25 spreads (each spread has around 8 images) and unfortunately Publisher is grinding to a halt and is basically unusable as a tool. I am not using any other applications simultaneously. 

Page sizes 9.64 by 12 inches. I've given Publisher Ram limit of from 30000mb to 59000 mb - doesn't seem to make much difference? I've tried with open Cl computer acceleration both on and off. Changed the view quality to nearest neighbour.

My questions - anyway I can speed up the program? I don't want to go and drop the image sizes down as I'd still like to be able to fine tune the cropping at any time.

I assumed that because the images were all linked I should be able to use large image sizes without a problem.

I assume the image sizes are the problem? Am I asking too much?

I've previously used Publisher for a 32 page kid's book with no problems (and not so many images}.

I've noticed a few users on the forum also noting Publisher as slow.

My only other experience is with indesign several years ago on a  250 page book featuring the work of 40 artists with lots of images and text.  I had no problems at all but the image sizes weren't so huge.

Thanks for any advice.

Preferences attached in image.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor 3.69 GHz RAM 32.0 GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Nvidia GforceGtx 107 (drivers upto date)

EDIT: I've dropped the Ram Usage down to 20000 mb after a kind gentleman had noted I was allocating more Ram than I had. Publisher runs faster now but still takes ages to render a spread of illustrations and when I go back to previously rendered spreads they are once again very pixelated.

PerformancePreferences-1.jpg

Edited by headwax
more info

I would open the extremely large files and make smaller already cropped versions of them and then embed the exported (TIFF) smaller versions.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Have you considered using proxies? Create lower resolution versions of your renders in Photo and link-place those and work on the layouts. Then when you are finished, relink (I assume you are linking instead of embedding!!!) and replace the low resolution proxies with the high resolution versions. Use the Resource Manager to accomplish this in Publisher.

Then export to PDF (if Publisher still chokes, work in smaller sections, and use a tool like PDF Exchange Editor (or Acrobat) to collate all pages).

1 hour ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

Have you considered using proxies? Create lower resolution versions of your renders in Photo and link-place those and work on the layouts. Then when you are finished, relink (I assume you are linking instead of embedding!!!) and replace the low resolution proxies with the high resolution versions. Use the Resource Manager to accomplish this in Publisher.

Then export to PDF (if Publisher still chokes, work in smaller sections, and use a tool like PDF Exchange Editor (or Acrobat) to collate all pages).

Thanks for that input.! Oh yes, using linked. 

Yes it's a good idea. I am already using flattened tifs as proxies (as opposed to ones with a zillion layers!)  but still too high res unfortunately.

I'll try with the low res proxys and the Resource manager. Thanks for that idea. 

And thanks for the heads up on PDF Exchange editor too :)

cheers!