You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The 500th thread about GUI …

I understand the developers wanting to stay on track providing promised features and fixes in some orderly fashion so everyone on the development team is on the same page and chaos is kept to a minimum. And if you stray from the list to fix one complaint how do you justify not straying to fix something else? I get it. With that said there have been unexpected issues that have arisen, as new betas are released, that have been addressed immediately because they directly impact the usability of a specific feature or the app in general. I can't think of an issue that more directly impacts the usability of an app than the ability of users to clearly see what they are working with and to do so without eyestrain, headaches or even having to look twice to be sure they are seeing something correctly. Leigh, the difference between "selected" and "unselected" tools is subtle at best when it should be obvious. This is clearly not a minor issue. It impacts the usability of the Affinity applications and deserves consideration as something that needs more immediate attention.

I started redoing the icons for the AD UI a while back, converting them all into outline, monochrome icons... This was back when AD didn't have multiple dartboards, so all icons are grouped and arranged by layers... I would export them and then replace the icons inside the app wrapper, I believe it was in resources. But I wasn't able to change the color of the background and highlight colors... I would love it if Affinity referenced an external AD file for all UI elements and allowed those of us who want a customize it to have a go at it... Those who want the defaults could stay safely there...

AD Beta - monochrome UI icons.zip

Great examples of a very simple solution, Alex... 

Well, I played around with the interface of Designer yesterday evening (please bear with me, I am not a UI designer), and I believe it would suffice, for the moment (until we get our brighter version … ;)), if the background brightness of the panels and the toolbar was slightly increased, while the “highlights” (active state indicators) remained as dark as they currently are … you could go still a little further than my examples below.

Of course, I don’t know how difficult that would be … and I am well aware that the problems start, as soon as the icons have to be redesigned because of the brightness changes. But it’s all about increasing the contrast a little. And the interface gamma setting in the preferences doesn’t help here, since the contrast tends to get decreased at higher settings …  :unsure:

Another simple solution. Very nice and clean UI.

Even your suggestions make us look around and search. It definitely shouldn’t be necessary to search within the GUI. A millisecond glance should be enough to see, whats going on to be bot interrupted in ongoing work.

Just look at the attached example of macphuns Aurora. They did a great job concerning GUI.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 1 year later...
On 20/11/2015 at 7:54 PM, ronnyb said:

I started redoing the icons for the AD UI a while back, converting them all into outline, monochrome icons... This was back when AD didn't have multiple dartboards, so all icons are grouped and arranged by layers... I would export them and then replace the icons inside the app wrapper, I believe it was in resources. But I wasn't able to change the color of the background and highlight colors... I would love it if Affinity referenced an external AD file for all UI elements and allowed those of us who want a customize it to have a go at it... Those who want the defaults could stay safely there...

AD Beta - monochrome UI icons.zip

RonnyB... these are absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Stephen_H said:

RonnyB... these are absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks @Stephen_H! :D 

I think with some of the newer features like auto-export of slices and multiple formats and resolutions, someone could create a fully automated AD file for all Affinity icons/UI elements to be automatically exported to the correct folder locations inside the Affinity app wrappers — of a duplicate of the original apps of course... UI customization can be another powerful differentiator for Affinity to leverage against Adoblow's monopoly... I also think the ability to create custom user Personas would be badass and a productivity booster for production environments where shaving seconds from repetitive UI interactions translates to $$ savings....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.