You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please revist issue AFD-171. The gap using brushes with closed paths

This issue was first opened 2014.  It was promised to be fixed years ago, yet it is still an issue.

In some cases it is impossible to have a brush stroke look correctly on closed paths and suggested workarounds are painful or not sufficient.

Whether this is a bug or we need a way to tweak the gap/start/end point etc I don't know, I just need a solution that is manageable.

Could we please have the developers take a look at this again?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=afd-171

This looks like a feature, not a bug. Feature of a particular brush, which has empty margins at the beginning and end of the texture.
There are other brushes that don't have these margins, or they are smaller. These brushes don't have a gap: Vector_Brush.afdesign

Read more here:

• Staff

As telemax has pointed out, this isn't a bug. Its just the unfortunate side effect of having gaps at the start/end of the brushes source texture. However it would be nice to include the ability to ignore the start/end elements of a brush and just use the repeating area for closed curves so I will move this to Feature Requests.

+1

It would also be nice to be able to Flip X, Y for brush textures. This will save memory, and speed up loading for brushes that should have Flip X, Y.

The Reverse command for a curve will not help if several curves linked by a symbol, or linked in AP.

I think that would suffice as a very simple and hopefully easy to implement solution.  Just a checkbox to enable to use only the selected range of the brush.

I also think it would be useful to do so whether the brush is set to repeating or stretched.

If we could get this small change, it would make a huge difference!  Thanks!

• 4 months later...
On 9/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, Sean P said:

As telemax has pointed out, this isn't a bug. Its just the unfortunate side effect of having gaps at the start/end of the brushes source texture. However it would be nice to include the ability to ignore the start/end elements of a brush and just use the repeating area for closed curves so I will move this to Feature Requests.

Mit solchen Aussagen hat schon Herr Gates Bugs von Windows schönzureden versuchst. Für mich ist das ein eklatanter Designfehler!
Immerhin funktioniert es z.B. im Illustrator einwandfrei.
Die vielen, gezeigten Beispiele (inklusive Skalieren von Objekten aktivieren) sollten klar zeigen, dass, wenn man von einem Feature reden möchte, es ein klarer Irrtum war.

Fehler bleibt Fehler. Ob designt oder programmiert.

With such statements, Mr. Gates has already tried to gloss over Windows bugs. For me, this is a blatant design error!
After all, it works perfectly in Illustrator, for example.
The many examples shown (including enabling scaling of objects) should clearly show that if you want to talk about a feature, it was a clear mistake.

Bug remains bug. Whether designed or programmed.

• 6 months later...
On 9/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, Sean P said:

@Sean Pis there any update on this at all? How likely are we to see a fix/feature update in the near future? It's incredibly frustrating limiting which brushes I can use... 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:37 AM, mogsy95 said:

How likely are we to see a fix/feature update in the near future?

I don't know what "near future" means to you, but given that there is no beta version available (let alone a beta version that would somehow solve the mentioned problem), I wouldn't get my big hopes up.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.