You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very narrow crop disappears

I have been trying to create an image consisting of a single column of pixes (from one image) replicated sideways. (And do the same thing for a horizontal row.)

I first tried using the crop tooj, selecting a narrow crop and entering a small number of pixels in the width box (1, 2 or 3px). Each time, when I completed the crop, the image seemed to disappear. If I then used Document > Resize Document and gave it a full width, Photo just hung. I had to resart my PC to get out of it.

Is this a bug, or a feature.

I solved my original problem by using Filter > Distort > Equations and entering x=w/2  (or y-y/2) which gave the desired result.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Fun fact: Doing the same in the Photo Persona in APu the image does not vanish and cropping works after a while although the application is temporarily not responding. Maybe the method of resampling comes also into play. Edit: And leave the application alone for a while (takes really a while, so do not restart too early), have a coffee, go with the dog. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Doing the same in the Photo Persona in APu

Just to be sure: were you using the usual vector crop Tool in Publisher, or the raster crop Tool as in Photo?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
18 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I first tried using the crop tooj, selecting a narrow crop and entering a small number of pixels in the width box (1, 2 or 3px). Each time, when I completed the crop, the image seemed to disappear. If I then used Document > Resize Document and gave it a full width, Photo just hung. I had to resart my PC to get out of it.

I'm getting the same here when i try this.  We do have an issue logged about a small crop (1 by 1) causing the app to hang but this happened when applying the crop.  So this issue is a little different, as in we can apply the crop, image disappears and the crash happens when resizing.  I'll get this logged with the Dev team :)